Build a Raspberry Pi powered live train station sign for your desk

Hi @jacksamthompson and welcome to the forums!

If it’s been a couple of years I’d suggest re-installing the software again from scratch - it shouldn’t take long. I’d recommend using the ‘Deploy’ button straight from balenaHub here: balenaHub: an easier way to find and publish fleets, apps, and blocks for edge devices

However, it does sound like you are trying to use a Pi v1, which I’ve personally never tested the project on. I can’t guarantee it will work, but in theory it should, it’ll just be a bit slow - that device is quite old now.

Keep me posted on how you get on!

Hi guys - still a novice at this but slowly working through the process

I seem to have what looks to be the common issue with the SSD1322 and needing to enable SPI - however I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at and what I need to do.

Here’s my board, if anyone could kindly take a look and inform that’ll be amazing!

Regards, John

Hi there…i’ve just gone through the exact same thing. According to the matrix (bottom left) 4 SPI needs zero ohm resistor (basically a jumper) on R5 and R8 … R6 and £7 should be open circuit. Looking at your photo, it’s set that way …

Fab thanks for checking

I’ll reinstall the software and ensure it’s not that, if not I’ll return the screen

Looking for a bit of support if poss. Everything is set up as above but my display reads "“uk train departure display powered by national rail enquiries” for a few seconds before going blank. Then, after a while, it displays the same message. If I change the operating hours so “now” is out of the operating time it correctly displays the out of hours name and the time. I’ve double-checked my apiKey just not sure what I’ve missed.

Many Thanks

@jacko4419 could you take a look and see if anything in this issue is relevant, and continue the discussion there? Getting 3 dots on the left of the display and no departures are showing. · Issue #93 · chrisys/train-departure-display · GitHub

Absolutely loving my little departure board! I’ve noticed a few bugs and wondering if it’s just me:

1. timeOffset remains 5 minutes regardless of the number put in (strangely it works correctly looking back with negative numbers) e.g., I want an offset of 7 minutes, but the board will still show trains departing in 5 minutes
  2. With operatingHours left bank (i.e., continuous operation) and screenBlankHours set to 1-5 (screen off between 1am and 5am) the display is off in the mornings at around 6am and requires a restart via the dashboard

Lastly, is there anyway of switching out the API to use TFL which would be more accurate for the London tube?

I’ve set everything up thanks to your instructions and used the conductive paint tip another user suggested.

The train display I made during Covid finally died. Do I have something wrong with the API requests here. It keeps asking for the departures variable to be set, but everything seems to be in order and it was running like this for 3 years.

Appreciate your advice :slight_smile:

Here are the requests

1 Like

@ashtray1987 is this now working?

@mpous - Nope

Looks like you need the departures environment variable @ashtray1987

could you please confirm what software version are you running? Could you please deploy the latest version?

@mpous - I updated the OS to 2.113.18 but the same error occurs. The departures variable I do not see listed on tranport API, it was never a variable that was needed when creating this project and so I do not understand why the log files ask for this variable

@mpous - fixed it! Deployed to updated code 0.5.4 :grinning:

1 Like

indeed i meant the code @ashtray1987

Glad to see that this is still working properly :tada:

I’ve only recently discovered this project, and I love it - thank you.

I’m running this on a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W.

One minor issue I have, is that I have changed the firstDepartureBold variable to false but after automatically restarting, the first departure still shows as bold.

Is there any way to change the Wi-Fi settings without re-imaging the SD card?

Hello @chrispm first of all welcome to the balena community :tada:

to change the WiFi settings without re-imaging the SD card you can find more information here Change wifi credentials

Thank you, though I was hoping that I could change this through the web rather than having to access the SD card.