Problem writing to usb

1. windows 7
  2. openmediavault_5.3.9-amd64.iso
  3. balenaEtcher 1.5.102
    I start the process, but an error immediately appears. see screenshot
    How can I fix this ?
    error|690x414
    Thanks.!

Hi, could you please open the devtools with ctrl + shift + i while focusing Etcher and paste here the logs that you see when the issue happens?

-1597739171854.log (25.0 KB)

Hello, is this a 32bit or a 64bit windows installation.

Is there any file in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\resources\app\generated\modules\winusb-driver-generator\build\Release\ ?

32bit

Generator.node

Hello @bumblebee55 , I’ve managed to reproduce one of the errors I was seeing in your logs on a 64bit Windows 7 computer.
The issue (for me) was that msvcp.dll , vcruntime140.dll and vcruntime140_1.dll files were not installed.
You should be able to install them all from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads , for a 32 bit windows installation you’ll need vc_redist.x86.exe.

Please let us know if it doesn’t help.

I’ve discovered this tool in the process: https://www.dependencywalker.com/
If you open Generator.node in it it will tell you if any library is missing for running it.

the problem was not resolved

Hi @bumblebee55, did you try the dependencywalker my colleague suggested? Where there are missing requirements? Thanks.

Yes, here are the screenshots…
What should I do with it?

Hello @bumblebee2000
Can you please provide etcher logs (the ones from the developer tools console) when you flash an image now that you’ve installed the vc redistributable ?
I guess we’ve fixed an error (Error: The specified module could not be found.) but the flash fails for some other reason.

-1597866374772.log (6.4 KB)

Hi @bumblebee2000 – thanks very kindly for the additional logs. We’ll take a look at this and get back to you.

All the best,
Hugh

Hey there,

Do you get the elevation permission request dialog from Etcher right after clicking Flash, and before it fails? Can you running Etcher as administrator (right-click on the Etcher executable -> Run as administrator) and see if that makes a difference?

Portable ver. run as administrator
After clicking the “flash” button"
An error occurs, see the screenshot

Unfortunately, most of the information in that screenshot is cut off from view. Are you able to copy / paste the contents from that error message and paste them in a reply, or, once again send the Developer Tools output? Thanks.

-1597954399530.log (7.2 KB)

Hello @bumblebee55 , it looks like the child process that should be writing the image segfaults on your computer.
Could you please try installing etcher (not the portable version) and running the following in a cmd and paste the output here:

set ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher\resources\app\generated\child-writer.js