write error to usb

Hello @bumblebee55 , it looks like the child process that should be writing the image segfaults on your computer.
Could you please try installing etcher (not the portable version) and running the following in a cmd and paste the output here:

set ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher\resources\app\generated\child-writer.js

c:>set ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1

c:>C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher C:\Users\use
r\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\balenaEtcher\resources\app\generated\chil
d-writer.js

c:>internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:800
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module ‘C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\ba
lenaEtcher\resources\app\generated\child-writer.js’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:797:17)
at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:690:27)
at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:769:28)
at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1056:10)
at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:11 {
code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
requireStack:
}
-1598565755043.log (6.9 KB)

@bumblebee55 I’ve seen this one on a 32 bit windows 7.
The error code is File System error (-1073741819).
I could make etcher work by either:

• running it as an administrator;
  • setting the UAC level to the minimum and rebooting;

-1598610924595.log (7.3 KB)

Hi @bumblebee55, did you run Etcher as administrator as @zvin suggested? Did you set the UAC level to the minimum? Just double-checking that those are the logs / errors you get after those potential workarounds

I have the same problem

I use win 10 home
I’m using the installable version of etcher
UAC minimum level

I use 32bits and already installed vc_redist.x86.exe

I installed the dependency walker but I don’t know how it works

I’m using tails-amd64-4.10.img

-1598641010940.log (5.1 KB)

@glayson Have you also tried running as Administrator, similar to the advice offered by Juan above? Your log indicates the child process exits with 3221225477, and some Googling of that leads to discussions about OpenGL and the need to update graphics drivers. What type of a laptop or desktop PC is this you are using?

yes, i ran as administrator
and I come from a clean installation of windows, automatically after, I installed the necessary current drives

I use one Intel Stick

1 !

when i check if there is a recent update i am informed of only one and i have already done this update, some error happens because i am always informed of the same update always

Detailed Description

Purpose

This download installs the System-on-a-Chip (SoC) drivers for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC, for the following system devices:

• Intel SST Audio Device
  • Intel Serial IO GPIO Controller
  • Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller
  • Intel Power Management IC Device (PMIC)
  • Intel Serial IO SPI Controller
  • Intel Sideband Fabric Device

Hi @glayson,

Are you by any chance running Chrome Remote Desktop on your Windows 7 machine? It’s known to cause some permission issues, even when running balenaEtcher (and other apps) as Administrator.

John

yes of couse

-1599341579034.log (7.6 KB)

Hi @bumblebee55

Your latest log shows the error code 3221225477 (0xc0000005). This code usually means that your filesystem is corrupted. Could you run the filesystem checker on the usb device? It should help to figure out if the device is damaged.
This guide from Microsoft shows how to do it on Windows 7: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2641432/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors-in-windows-7

Thanks!

-1600028636633.log (7.3 KB)

Hi, can you try with etcher v1.5.109 which was just released? Using portable is preferable to test that the issue is gone, but setup should also work.