USB flash drive damaged after using Etcher

On the recommendation of Linux Mint, I tried using Etcher to make a USB bootable. But, the unit was damaged.

To recover the USB, I used the Windows 10 Disk Manager. I selected the damaged drive, then “New Simple Volume”. I followed the steps of the wizard by selecting partition size, disk letter assignment and formatting (I chose FAT32).

That way I recovered my USB drive.

I read this same error in several posts in this forum, and no one from Balena responded by giving any solution.

I will definitely not use Etcher again.

It’s safer Rufus.

1 Like

That’s because there’s no solution - Etcher doesn’t “damage” nor break nor corrupt sdcards, it’s usually just that some users don’t understand that flashing an OS on a usb/sdcard/… makes it usually (and I’d also say obviously) not readable by the OS you’re working on, but you will still see it with other reading tools.
I suggest reading through our User Documentation in case your situation listed there.
I’d also like to know what you mean by “damaged” and I understand your frustration, but with some patience we can figure this out. Otherwise, we’ll still be here to help if needed!

the “unreadable” key is not allways the case f.i windows 7 iso on Imac relusts in an imac readable stick
( but iMac will read all fat32 media )