Stuck booting up VM

Converted image to VMDK and trying to boot up with VMWare Fusion.

Using 2.68.1 base image and boot is getting stuck - see screenshots. This worked perfectly with 2.50.1

Hey there, can you confirm which exactly which base image you converted and for which device type?

Also, what process did you follow to convert the image to VMDK in case we try to reproduce the issue?

Hey @vladsfl

Have you had the chance to take a look at my colleague’s questions? Let us know if you still need help with this.

Cheers!

Sorry guys I did not see this…

v2.68.1+rev1

I downloaded .img file then unwrapped it using: GitHub - balena-os/balena-image-flasher-unwrap: Tool for unwrapping balena-image from a balena-image-flasher

Then converted to vdmk couple of different ways but both had same outcome - hanging on boot. Also tried dev and prod image - result was the same.

1. qemu-img convert balena-cloud--intel-nuc-2.68.1+rev1-dev-v12.3.0.img -O vmdk balena-cloud--intel-nuc-2.68.1+rev1-dev-v12.3.0.vmdk

2. VBoxManage convertdd balena-cloud--intel-nuc-2.68.1+rev1-dev-v12.3.0.img filename.vmdk

Hope this helps

Hey @vladsfl, have you tried the same process with the Generic x86_64 image instead of the NUC? It supports a lot more drivers and is more likely to work in a virtual machine.

hey there

I downloaded .img file then unwrapped it using: GitHub - balena-os/balena-image-flasher-unwrap: Tool for unwrapping balena-image from a balena-image-flasher
Then converted to vdmk couple of different ways

If I understand correctly, you are first unwrapping the img using balena-image-flasher-unwrap then using qemu or VBoxManage to convert the unwrapped image to vmdk?

Looking at the docs here, it seems balena-image-flasher-unwrap can convert the image to vmdk directly:

To convert it into a different format to use in emulators, specify the image format as extra arguments:
./docker-run /path/to/balena.img -F vmdk
You can optionally set the image size to a new value in bytes (see qemu-img man page for details):
./docker-run /path/to/balena.img -F vmdk -s

Can you try this and let us know if it helps?

Cheers

Hi @vladsfl have you been able to solve the issue without our assistance? If not, I would suggest making sure that the image is attached as either SATA or NVMe drive, the NUC image in particular does not come with other drivers (e.g. SCSI or virtio).