Hyper-V virtual machine hangs at "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes"

I’m trying to use the Intel NUC image for balenaOS to create a Hyper-V virtual machine that connects back to balenaCloud.

VM Details

• Hyper-V on Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.706
  • Generation 1 Hyper-V virtual machine
  • balenaOS 2.32.0, production mode, Ethernet-only
  • VM is connected to the DockerNAT virtual switch
  • Used qemu-img convert to convert balenaOS .img to .vhdx

Issue Report

I was able to boot the flasher image, flash the “primary” hard drive, and then restart the VM guest into balenaOS. However, during the boot process, balenaOS hung.

Question: Is there any way to find out what’s causing the OS to hang at this spot?

Cheers,
Trevor Sullivan

Mine is doing the same, any luck resolving this @pcgeek86

Could you try running a Gen2 VM with secure boot disabled? We ran an internal test and that did the trick

Hi! I have the Legacy boot setup and the Secure Boot disabled, and it still hungs up there. Any clues of what to do? How do I open a prompt? @Ereski

hey @amespuga,
I am using balenaOS in hyper-v and set it up with the above instructions. Can you confirm which device type you are using? and if the VM you created is a Generation 2 VM?

regarding getting a prompt, you can use alt + F2 or other F keys to get a tty prompt for a dev image. You can use root as the user to login.

Hi @rahul-thakoor, thank you for your answer.
This issue is linked with this one. My PC hungs and I’m not able to open the prompt (the screen goes black, but I cannot see the text I type).

My machine is a Dell Precision Tower 7810. It is not a VM.

Thank you!

Hi @amespuga.

It looks like this is a different issue to that of others in this thread. Is it crashing when booting the flasher image or when booting the flashed image off the internal drive?

Cheers,
James.

Hi @jimsynz! It hungs once booting fron de hdd where I already installed the image :slight_smile:

Hey - we are testing a new OS release (v2.49.0) which adds in some missing Hyper-V drivers, which may solve your problem. It’s being tested internally at the moment, so I don’t have a release date for you, but keep a look out for it and let us know if you need more help.

Phil