OS X (M1) -> Flashing Doesn't works

Hello,

I downloaded the latest version today to flash my SD card. After the startup process is directly aborted.

The following message appears:

Elevating command: /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Frameworks/balenaEtcher Helper (Renderer).app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher Helper (Renderer) /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app/generated/child-writer.js
gui.js:37 {“stack”:“Error: Error invoking remote method ‘disable-screensaver’: No handler registered for ‘disable-screensaver’\n at EventEmitter.i.invoke (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:73:529)”,“message”:“Error invoking remote method ‘disable-screensaver’: No handler registered for ‘disable-screensaver’”}
console. @ gui.js:37
logException @ gui.js:37
(anonymous) @ gui.js:354
gui.js:37 POST https://o95242.ingest.sentry.io/api/4504436020019200/store/?sentry_version=7&sentry_client=raven-js%2F3.27.2&sentry_key=a89e60810d444088ae7957d3a84837ee 403
(anonymous) @ gui.js:37
_makeRequest @ gui.js:37
_sendProcessedPayload @ gui.js:37
_send @ gui.js:37
_processException @ gui.js:37
_handleStackInfo @ gui.js:37
captureException @ gui.js:37
_promiseRejectionHandler @ gui.js:37
gui.js:37 Wed Jan 11 2023 09:53:36 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit) TypeError: Converting circular structure to JSON
→ starting at object with constructor ‘Object’
— property ‘top’ closes the circle
gui.js:37 POST https://o95242.ingest.sentry.io/api/4504436020019200/store/?sentry_version=7&sentry_client=raven-js%2F3.27.2&sentry_key=a89e60810d444088ae7957d3a84837ee 403
(anonymous) @ gui.js:37
_makeRequest @ gui.js:37
_sendProcessedPayload @ gui.js:37
_send @ gui.js:37
_processException @ gui.js:37
_handleStackInfo @ gui.js:37
logException @ gui.js:37
(anonymous) @ gui.js:354
gui.js:35 0 devices, 0% at 0.00 MB/s (total 0.00 MB/s) with 0 failed devices
gui.js:37 Wed Jan 11 2023 09:53:37 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit) TypeError: Converting circular structure to JSON
→ starting at object with constructor ‘Object’
— property ‘top’ closes the circle
gui.js:37 Terminating IPC server
gui.js:37 Flash results {cancelled: true, skip: false}

Can anyone help me to find the Problem und solve it?

Thank you

Hi,
Could you provide a bit more information about the issue. What OS are you running Etcher on? What image are you trying to flash? What kind of drive are you using ?

Best,
Ilija

Of course, please excuse me. I am using a MacStudio with OSX version 13.0.1 .
I wanted to install the latest image from Hypriot (Downloads · Docker Pirates ARMed with explosive stuff) on my SANDISC Ultra 32 GB.
The “drive” is built into the Mac. It is an SD card slot .

Is this information enough for you or do you need more to analyze the problem?

Hi,

similar error logs were sent from other macOS users. The disable-screensaver part is totally unrelated, on the other hand
the gui.js:37 POST ... part is really interesting.
In version 1.14.0 the component responsible for that is completely removed.
Can you try a fresh release https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.14.1/balenaEtcher-1.14.1.dmg t see if it works better ?

Thanks,

Hello everyone, I have the same error on my MacBook Air M1 with Ventura 13.0.1.

The pre release v.1.14.1 still doesn’t work for me, after clicking on Flash button it stops working in 1-2 sec.

I tried to flash Kali linux live OS on usb 16 gb pendrive

Here is my logs, it’s ok in that (screenshot) form ?

Hi @damien,

Did etcher display the “password” prompt window, and did you write down your Mac user’s password?
Because I have a Mac M1 with Ventura 13.1 and it works perfectly. The only way I can reproduce your log is if I don’t put my password to allow Etcher to have root access to the disk (which is needed to write an image to it).

This might also happen if your user is not allowed to administer the computer (or in the “Admin” group).

Let us know if it helps :smile:

Hi,
nearly same here. Running mac mini m1 13.1 tried 1.13.3,1.14.1 and now 1.14.2. Full disk access granted. With GUI it starts and switches back withn 1-2 sec to flash input.

Tried it 1.14.2 via shell and sudo, GUI starts up, choose file (different tried) and target, denn flashing and it aborts:

user@host~ % sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher
Password:
Language changed to: en
ready-to-show: 1.271s
packageUpdatable true
Checking for update
Staging percentage: 1, percentage: 0.5986555159554481, user id: 9208414b-cb1a-57a0-8f78-4be299417ce6
Update for version 1.14.2 is not available (latest version: 1.13.3, downgrade is disallowed).
2023-01-17 18:05:13.523 balenaEtcher[1101:14741] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
Error occurred in handler for 'disable-screensaver': No handler registered for 'disable-screensaver'
(node:1101) Warning: No such label 'ready-to-show' for console.timeEnd()
(Use `balenaEtcher --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
Error occurred in handler for 'enable-screensaver': No handler registered for 'enable-screensaver'
(node:1101) Warning: No such label 'ready-to-show' for console.timeEnd()

In GUI failed target shows: EPERM: operation not permitted, open ‘/dev/rdisk6’.
But I granted full access to balena etcher (I cant do more than activate the switch in full access menu, then restart balena). That also doesnt works while sudoeing.

Hopes that gives an idea?

-wulle

@wolvi-lataniere Thank you for answer. Just updated to 13.1.0 and still nothing. I have only one account and it’s admin (I think that is, it’s my first MacBook after switching from windows), but if not I opened app from terminal with sudo prompt, typed password and still had the same error. Next I added app to full disc access in Settings → Privacy → Full disc Access and still nothing. Maybe I’m doing something wrong ? It’s possible that different program generates problems ? I have “NTFS for Mac” installed.

EDIT: also tried formatting pendrive from NTFS to Apple format and it not help

Hi,
I had the same problem - I found out that flashing from Download does not work.

Solution:
terminal → sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher
then flash from file on desktop
Sebastian

1 Like

You’re right, that works. But that is quite a detour and cannot be a permanent solution. A workaround it is of course - thanks already once for that.

Thanks for everyone adding info to this issue, pinpointing it to the right place.
The new release v1.14.3 should work without this problem.

Yes, no it works fine. Asked once for the User-PW and then it starts with flashing

@mcraa It works now. Before flashing program ask for access to extension discs/pendrives, just type password and works.

Thank you

1 Like

Running balenaEtcher with admin login session instead of standard login works fine for me (Monterey, Apple Silicon)

Just FYI running in an admin login session isn’t necessary on Ventura using Apple Silicon (M1 Max)

My experience with M1 MacBookPro, macOS 13.2.1 (22D68) and balenaEtcher Version 1.14.3 (full disk access granted), and running as the admin (and only) user is:

• regular GUI launch stops immediately (the experience others have had) … password NOT requested.

• terminal launch of . . /balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher … stops immediately … password NOT requested

• terminal launch of sudo . . /balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher … completes successfully

Just to add to this, M2 running Ventura, I had all the issues listed above running the latest 1.18.4 build - i had to go back and grab the 1.14.3 build mentioned here to get Steam Deck SteamOS image to write.

I created an account to add I had the same experience as @realdannys. Trying to flash the Steam Deck image, 1.18 didn’t work, switched to 1.14 and it did.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
i had the same issue here.
My MacBook M1 can’t step further as to the flashing an freez there.
The password prompt came but nothing happened.
I experienced the problem with 1.18.
At 1.14 all goes on

Today I met the same problem, and solved with @sebi solution.

terminal → sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher

But all along I see no error at all. My etcher keeps resetting every time I press “Flash”, which made me so confused. I hope there be a more friendly guide here.

BTW, I’d checked Privacy & Security settings on Mac but there was nothing to do.