No sound on RPi 4 since latest update

Since the latest update of the Balena OS (2.82.10+rev1) and supervisor (12.9.6), I get no sound whatsoever from my fleet of 3 Raspberry Pi 4Bs (4Gb, 32Gb Kingston SD cards, IQAudio DAC Pro hats, original Raspberry AC adapters).

The devices show up in Spotify as well as Airplay (I usually use these two channels) as they used to, and I can also connect to them. But sound is gone.

Could someone please help what should I do? I have done all I could, restarting, rebooting, shutting down, restarting again, but nothing helps. Diagnostics show nothing, logs neither.

Thank you!

Still nothing, upgraded to the latest supervisor version.
Should I reflash all cards?

Hi, I’ve absolutely the same problem as mentioned by MFerenc. Since the latest update of the Balena OS (2.82.10+rev1) and supervisor (12.10.1), I get no more sound from my Raspberry Pi 4Bs (4Gb, 32Gb Sandisk SD cards, HiFiBerry DAC+ hat, original Raspberry AC adapters non UK version). Everything worked fine with the previous version.

Thank you for your help !

Hi @Thierry @MFerenc, could you provide the following so I can see what the problem is?

• Device logs (download them from the dashboard)
  • Support logs (you’ll need to visit http://DEVICE_IP/support on your browser, replacing DEVICE_IP with the Local IP Address of the device which you can get from balenaCloud dashboard too).

Thanks!

Hi @tmigone,

Thank you for your help! I couldn’t wait any longer, and I have just reflashed all my cards today, but to no avail, sound is still gone, while devices show up as if everything was ok.

• Support logs I cannot access for some reason
  • Device logs:
    Device 1:
    Supervisor starting
    Applying configuration change {“SUPERVISOR_POLL_INTERVAL”:“900000”,“SUPERVISOR_LOG_CONTROL”:“false”,“SUPERVISOR_DELTA”:“1”,“SUPERVISOR_DELTA_VERSION”:“3”,“SUPERVISOR_PERSISTENT_LOGGING”:“true”}
    Applying boot config: {“dtoverlay”:[“iqaudio-dacplus”],“arm_64bit”:“1”,“disable_splash”:“0”,“gpu_mem”:“512”,“dtparam”:[“i2c_arm=on”,“spi=on”,“audio=on”],“enable_uart”:“1”}
    Applied boot config: {“dtoverlay”:[“iqaudio-dacplus”],“arm_64bit”:“1”,“disable_splash”:“0”,“gpu_mem”:“512”,“dtparam”:[“i2c_arm=on”,“spi=on”,“audio=on”],“enable_uart”:“1”}
    Applying boot config: {}

Device 2:
Supervisor starting
Applying configuration change {“SUPERVISOR_POLL_INTERVAL”:“900000”,“SUPERVISOR_LOG_CONTROL”:“false”,“SUPERVISOR_DELTA”:“1”,“SUPERVISOR_DELTA_VERSION”:“3”,“SUPERVISOR_PERSISTENT_LOGGING”:“true”}
Applying boot config: {“dtoverlay”:[“iqaudio-dacplus”],“arm_64bit”:“1”,“disable_splash”:“0”,“gpu_mem”:“512”,“dtparam”:[“i2c_arm=on”,“spi=on”,“audio=on”],“enable_uart”:“1”}
Applied boot config: {“dtoverlay”:[“iqaudio-dacplus”],“arm_64bit”:“1”,“disable_splash”:“0”,“gpu_mem”:“512”,“dtparam”:[“i2c_arm=on”,“spi=on”,“audio=on”],“enable_uart”:“1”}
Applying boot config: {}

Device 3:
No logs yet

I am not really sure these would help at all - I have never seen anything in the device logs ever, I don’t have a faintest idea why. This is as much as I can get, and I am surprised I even have this.

@Thierry @MFerenc

Could you do me a huge favor and try to provision a new balenaSound device using v2.80.5+rev1 ? (It is available from the drop-down menu when clicking “Add device” button…download, flash SD Card, power up Pi). I’m curious if your DAC works fine with that version of the OS. I suspect it does…but want to confirm. Thanks for the help! :raised_hands:

@dtischler I have reflashed v2.80.5+rev1 to my whole fleet, and it works again. So it might be a glitch in the new release.
Please let us know when it will be safe to update the OS, for until then, I would stick to this, the last working version.

@Thierry, you might want to do the same, hope it helps you, too!

1 Like

Thanks @MFerenc – I’ll open up a GitHub issue and we’ll give you a ping back once we have it investigated and fixed. Sorry for the troubles!

1 Like

@dtischler, thank you so much!
I really appreciate all the work you and your fellow developers do with Balena Sound!

1 Like

That’s @tmigone and the balenaLabs folks who do the real work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dtischler
Hello everybody. At first sorry for the late answer. I’ve reflashed my sd card with the previous version as recommended and now it works again. So, like @MFerenc I will wait for a new debugged version.
Thanks a lot for your quick help.
Best regards.

@MFerenc @Thierry We just released a new version of the OS (version 2.83.10+rev1) that should include a fix for this issue. If you are running properly on the older version of the OS, then I would say just leave it alone, but if you do need to build a new device it should work on v2.83. Thanks!

1 Like

@dtischler thank you so much for your and the developers’ work, I took the chance and updated my fleet, and it works flawlessly!
Case is closed, I suppose :blush:

Updating to [balenaOS 2.85.2+rev3] broke sound again.

@elcovb , I also thought yesterday that it happened again after supervisor update (the OS update did work well for me), and the fleet did not even respond to reboot commands either on the dashboard. I did a hard reboot (plugging out and then back the power cords of the devices), and since then they work properly again.

I don’t know what might have caused the glitch, I just wanted to let you know that you might also try this as a last resort. I know we are not supposed to do that, but the fleet did not respond to any commands I gave it from the dashboard, so I just thought whatever.
Hope it helps…

1 Like

My device does respond to commands and I have also rebooted multiple times. The Airplay en Spotify services seem to work, but Alsa gives errors.

@elcovb, were you able to figure out the problem? If not, can you share the ALSA errors or better the full logs?