Error: cmd and chcp is not recognized as an internal or external command

"stack":"Error: Command failed: cmd /c \"C:\\Users\\luis\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-899a4999ac8b.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n\n    at file:///C%3A/Users/luis/AppData/Local/Temp/21HF9wuLTMcX4AniiTuo1CikLTo/resources/app/generated/gui.js:46:703029\n    at FSReqCallback.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (internal/fs/read_file_context.js:63:3)","message":"Command failed: cmd /c \"C:\\Users\\luis\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-899a4999ac8b.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n","code":1,"image":"tails-amd64-4.28.img"}

that’s the error im just trying to flash tails to my usb I’ve tried everything i cant think of what else to do any help would be appreciated

Hi @dittulps, I was able to boot Tails 4.28 using etcher 1.7.1 both downloaded from the Tails documentation.

My pc runs opensuse with grub, your mileage may vary.

After inserting the flashed USB and powering up the device, grub would say press t to enter grub for selecting what to boot.
That is not what you are looking for, the USB won’t show up there.

In my case legacy boot was not enabled in bios. It had to be enabled to reach the Tails USB during boot.
For that enter bios (for me that is pressing F10 during startup) and in the bios go to boot config tab select legacy → enable.
BIOS may warn you this could make your pc unable to boot at all.

In my case my pc can boot the same way as before, still showing me the same grub and the press t option.
BEFORE that screen there is a message press esc to display all boot options or press esc to pause startup.
Entering that, there is an option, for me F9, Boot device options. Pressing F9 without esc directly takes you there too.
(Different computers have differnet keys dedicated to it f9 f12 del etc.)
There you should have USB Drive as a boot device option if you have legacy boot enabled.

I hope this helps!