Win10 - Etcher 1.7.3 - cmd and chcp are not recognized

I saw multiple topics on this, no resolutions found. The image file was hash checked to be good for installation, and when I try to flash, the console spits out:

Wed Jan 05 2022 13:25:56 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Write failed ({"image":{"size":1194328064,"name":"tails-amd64-4.24.img","hasMBR":true,"partitions":[{"offset":1048576,"size":1192230912,"type":"C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B","guid":"34BF027A-8001-4B93-8243-1F9D3DCE7DE7","name":"Tails","index":1}],"extension":"img","path":"<snip>\\Downloads\\tails-amd64-4.24.img"},"drives":[{"size":31009800192,"isVirtual":false,"enumerator":"USBSTOR","logicalBlockSize":512,"raw":"\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive4","error":null,"isReadOnly":false,"displayName":"G:\\","blockSize":512,"isSCSI":false,"isRemovable":true,"device":"\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive4","busVersion":"2.0","isSystem":false,"busType":"USB","isCard":false,"isUSB":true,"devicePath":null,"mountpoints":[{"path":"G:\\"}],"description":"Patriot Memory USB Device","isUAS":false,"partitionTableType":"mbr"}],"driveCount":1,"uuid":"3423729a-6fa9-4930-8a43-fbd135265d43","status":"failed","flashInstanceUuid":"3423729a-6fa9-4930-8a43-fbd135265d43","error":{"code":1},"sample":0.1,"applicationSessionUuid":"985aee1b-3219-458f-bd67-2b4a9d80b81b","flashingWorkflowUuid":"bc4c4783-5219-400d-bd3e-456153d763a7"})
gui.js:46 {"stack":"Error: Command failed: cmd /c \"<snipped>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-58eb5e480531.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n\n    at file:///<snipped>/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:46:703029\n    at FSReqCallback.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (internal/fs/read_file_context.js:63:3)","message":"Command failed: cmd /c \"<snipped>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-58eb5e480531.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n","code":1,"image":"tails-amd64-4.24.img"}

I had this with an earlier version of etcher, so that did not fix. I can run cmd files in a terminal, so I don’t understand how it could not from here. The drive it is running on (etcher) has 12gb free, would capacity there need to match the stick size (32gb), like a scratch disk for working?

Ping? I still get this issue.

Hi @Seikojin,

I just tried flashing the Tails image and it worked for me, but I see another user who attempted and seems to be having the same experience you are.

Interestingly, I’m running an older version of Etcher (v1.5.112) and was wondering if you happen to remember which version you were running that failed earlier as well (in case maybe a certain release is causing this conflict and we can narrow it down)?

I’ll reach out to the Etcher team to see if they have run into this on newer versions as well. Thanks for reaching out and we’ll be back with you shortly.

@Seikojin,

I just did a quick upgrade to my Etcher version and was still able to flash the image successfully. Can you tell me if you’ve tried to flash any other images and if you’ve had success or if everything fails to flash for you? Thanks!

I used your link to the tails image, downloaded, verified, and tried with the current Etcher, and still get the same error. :frowning: I will try the older Etcher if I can find one.

I just tried with 1.5.112 and still the same error. :frowning:

same man same here

If there are any other aspects of my system that can help narrow down the potential conflict let me know. I have a development environment on this machine as well as multiple drives where many install paths lead to (games on one drive, media on another, dev tools on a third, OS on a fourth). Etcher defaults to C, which has little room left.

Ping? Any updates?

I thought maybe it was an img vs iso thing, and iso didn’t change the error/failure.

In the end, I just used a different tool. :frowning:

Hi, can you try this with the portable version of etcher?

From the error:

{
  "stack": "Error: Command failed: cmd /c \"<snipped>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-58eb5e480531.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n\n    at file:///<snipped>/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:46:703029\n    at FSReqCallback.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (internal/fs/read_file_context.js:63:3)",
  "message": "Command failed: cmd /c \"<snipped>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\etcher\\balena-etcher-electron-58eb5e480531.cmd\"\r\n'chcp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\r\noperable program or batch file.\r\n",
  "code": 1,
  "image": "tails-amd64-4.24.img"
}

It seems electron is unable to find the executable. It looks like Etcher also stored in a temporary directory which will disappear whenever you restart your computer.

Can you explain the installation steps you took?