balenaSound is not working

I have a Pi1 with balena sound running but not all containers and I thing most of the essential ones are not running.

Any idea why this happens? I have a 8GB SD Card.

Can I provide a log-file?

Thanks for your help?

Hi @Nitram,

BalenaSound won’t run on a RPi 1 without customizing the application to be as small as possible. I have two RPi Zero Ws and a RPi B+ 1.2, and only the Zero Ws can hold up to the current version of balenaSound, even after I have stripped them down to nothing but the audio and multiroom-client containers. I even got rid of the sound-supervisor to save a few delays and glitches. They work, but not without glitches. The changes I made makes them usable only as multi-room clients, with hard-coded configs. I also discovered that having any HDMI device connected will cause the older devices to glitch too much to be usable. I had to add DACs and leave HDMI unconnected for them to work.

You can make it all work, but you will need to modify things and scale it down for the lower-power/older devices, getting rid of services you don’t need by removing them from the docker-compose.yml file, and making sure any dependencies between containers are satisfied with manual configs.

I hope this does not discourage you from building an audio system. I love balenaSound, and have six devices and set of speakers throughout my house. But right now, it’s not as turnkey on older devices, and requires a bit of customization.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response.
I just need airplay and Spotify. Which containers does this two services need?

Where can I do the manual config and edit the docker-compose.yml?

I’m not experienced enough to get you going on this myself. I’ve only been able to hack some things to my favor so far. But get familiar with how balena manages applications [1], so you can modify the docker-compose.yml file, and understand what other changes you must make. Also, be sure you are familiar with the balenaSound project documentation [2].


Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Martin, as Marc points out, older Raspberry Pi’s unfortunately can’t quite cope with current balenaSound demands. We are aware of this problem and are looking for ways of improving this in the future. Currently the best solution is to strip down the unneeded containers as Marc suggested. If you give it a shot we can help you troubleshoot it.