Balena Etcher Portable creating unnecessary partitions of usb flash drive

I did a burn with ImageUSB and it created 3 partitions again, so that part was the image. I set the config.js file settings though this time out of the gate and it worked, so perhaps that was a part of it recognizing too but couldn’t imagine why that would be. TLDR: No issue now.

Yes this is not at all an issue with the Images we use that’s all about the software we used for this purpose. OK I will give you a short introduction of me, I am person who used to create dozens of bootable USB in a week for myself my friends for all of my circle I am person who used to give the bootable media, and at first I used to use another software like bootable media installer, RUFUS and so on. Then I heard of your software and I tried it and it was so fast and stable software(a loud appreciation for that), First week I didnt noticed anything but later I noticed one pop up message that appeared when I am using Kali linux live (non persistence) that there is not enough disk space on this drive to run the rest of the operation. I am totally frustrated because since I am having a 64 GB thumb drive and nothing is been installed so far, Later I decided to check the disks information there I can see that there is only 4/5 MB is there in my USB in total(not free space it is all the space it has) so I check again and found that that was been a 2 partitioned and a huge unallocated (62.1 GB) drive, but at the same time when I am using softwares like RUFUS it didn’t made any partitions like Balena did, this is so horrible for those who like would like to use live media other than installing on my system and who like kali linux’s persistence mode. I hope you will correct this bug in the next update other wise I have to choose another software for making bootable drives. but even after all these issues happened for me I still recommend for anyone who needs to make a bootable device that is all because of the speed that it has.

And I tried to resize the partition from the unallocated space that your Etcher gave me, but nothing positive happen

Hoping that in the next update this issue will be fixed
Thank you

Hi Sanin,

What balenaEtcher version are you using? You may see the version number after clicking the cog icon on the upper right corner.

balenaEtcher rewrites the partition table on the disk based on the image being written. This makes it seem that the rest of the disk is unusable. If you want to reset your disk to make the partition table span the entire disk, you may follow the guide below:

Most disk utility GUI tools only reformat the disk based on the existing partition table it has. If you wrote an image to the disk which has a smaller partition table size, the rest of the disk seem unusable. The guide above should fix this.

Regards,
Carlo