xubuntu balena etcher installer is broken

after aptitude install you get

$ balena-etcher-electron 
/usr/bin/balena-etcher-electron: line 3: /usr/bin/balena-etcher-electron.bin: No such file or directory

WORKAROUND
$ /opt/balenaEtcher/balena-etcher-electron

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you let us know the version of Xubuntu and the version of Etcher it’s trying to install, as that will help us with determining why this is happening.

Best regards,

Heds

cdarra@hp8440-xubu:~/git/sdr-spectrum-monitor$ uname -a
Linux hp8440-xubu 5.3.0-40-generic #32~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 3 14:05:59 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cdarra@hp8440-xubu:~/git/sdr-spectrum-monitor$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Release:	18.04
Codename:	bionic
cdarra@hp8440-xubu:~/git/sdr-spectrum-monitor$
$ aptitude show balena-etcher-electron
Package: balena-etcher-electron          
Version: 1.5.76
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Maintainer: Balena Inc. <hello@etcher.io>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 283 M
Depends: gconf2, gconf-service, libappindicator1, libasound2, libatk1.0-0, libc6, libcairo2, libcups2, libdbus-1-3, libexpat1, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6,
         libgcc1, libgconf-2-4, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, liblzma5, libnotify4, libnspr4, libnss3, libpango1.0-0, libstdc++6, libx11-6,
         libxcomposite1, libxcursor1, libxdamage1, libxext6, libxfixes3, libxi6, libxrandr2, libxrender1, libxss1, libxtst6, polkit-1-auth-agent |
         policykit-1-gnome | polkit-kde-1
Conflicts: balena-etcher-electron:i386
Description: balenaEtcher is a powerful OS image flasher built with web technologies to ensure flashing an SDCard or USB drive is a pleasant and safe experience. It protects you from accidentally writing to your hard-drives, ensures every byte of data was written correctly and much more.
 Flash OS images to SD cards and USB drives, safely and easily.
Homepage: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher

Thanks, I’ll inform the appropriate engineers.

1 Like

Hey there, this was fixed in v1.5.79. If this is not yet available from the xubuntu repositories, you can grab the deb from: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/tag/v1.5.79

2 Likes

thanks will retry later today

you have not updated your repo

deb https://deb.etcher.io stable etcher

it still contains 1.5.76

please fix asap

Hi, did you try downloading from the github releases as suggested above until it’s available on xubuntu repositories?

if i understand things correctly there is no such thing as your xubuntu repo there is only your deb.etcher.io repo

that repo DOES NOT contain the updated version of YOUR app

please advise me when it does

PS i never download debs for unverified sources

We are working on that and will let you know when it’s published on deb.etcher.io .

1 Like

Note that our github releases page is verified source.

1 Like

sure but not as verified as your repo will be

I think that what @karaxuna meant was the the GitHub repository is the original source of truth for Ether source and releases. Can you explain what you mean by “verified” - I just want to make sure that we’re clear.

i only install exes from repos never from random download links

Thanks for the reply. Seems sensible as far as general rules go. Regardless, if you want you can download and install the debian package of the latest release from the Github releases page. We’ll update this thread once our team has had a look at why the built packages aren’t being copied to the Etcher debian repo. You can rest assured that they are the exact same files however.

naturally i assumed that additional CI checks were performed as part of your repo update process but maybe i am wrong !

Hey there! Downloading the executables from an independent APT repo (like ours) has the same risk factor as downloading the files from GitHub Releases. The Etcher team maintains the GitHub Releases as the source of truth, from where they are mirrored to various places, such as APT, RPM, Chocolatey, etc. Some of these distributions mediums are maintained by external volunteers, so if you are worried about how legitimate the files are, then your best bets are to install Etcher from GitHub Releases (as that’s what we explicitly maintain), or build it from source

1 Like