What are you working on?

Hi all, me and the rest of the resin team always love hearing about cool projects people are hacking on, so:

what are you currently working on?

I am working on a Reef Aquarium controller, powered by the RPI 2 (and other micro computers), named REEFmate.
It is an IoT device, coded in nodejs, angularJS and MongoDB.
Regular users can operate it as any web app an power users can customise it totally, using Node-red.

I have implemented a number of features similar to Resin, like wifi web management, hotspot setup and self updates. I am currently trying to move the app to Resin, so I can focus more on core features.

Franklin Dattein
http://inventmarine.com

@fsamir,

The dashboard REEFmate looks rad! Is everything hosted on the locally or can you control the pumps from the outside the network? Have you found many users using the Node-red option to customise?

It’d be amazing if you could put down some notes on transitioning your app to resin. Then we could put together a guest post to help others with the same process.

Just updated my profile, so might as well share the info here too… I’m working on CloudFleet to make self-hosting your email a plug-and-play experience (we don’t actually use Resin there due to security issues – we don’t want anyone to have root access, but the end user :wink: ) and doing some “IoT” freelance work with Sonos speaker controllers (where Resin comes in like a charm).

@metakermit awesome, let me know when the sonos controllers are ready. I’ve got some sonos speakers in the office that need a remote.

@craig he he – glad you’re interested. Well, my solution is closed source for a private company, so if you need a professional solution for multi-location music scheduling, I could connect you to them as a potential customer. If it’s kind of a hobby Sonos remote controller you need, SoCo is awesome.

If there’s interest, I might be convinced to write some sort of guest blog post for the Resin blog about packaging Python web apps with background job queues that enable people to build their own home automation solutions ;).

SoCo looks great, definitely something to make this weekend :slight_smile:

That’d be great! maybe we could even make it a regular thing, like a user of the month tutorial or smthing. Either way that’d definitely be a useful post. I’ll send you a DM to figure out how to proceed.

hello everyone, this is my first post.
i am working on a remote greenhouse monitoring/management and automation.
the idea behind this is to simplify hydroponics greenhouse on the farmers so they can focus more on day to day production.

i am in very early stage but i am very happy i found resin because it solved a very big problem.
thank you all for every contribution you have made and i hope i can contribute something useful in the near future.

Welcome @chrigui!

Sounds like a great idea, excited to see the fruits… and vegetables of your labour :wink: If you have any questions along the way feel free to reach out on the gitter channel (It’s where our team and other users hang out).

All the best,
Craig

Howdy all, I’ve been lurking since last summer, but have finally got my feet wet and this is my first post. First I will have to say thanks to the Resin team - great job on the whole system - and on the documentation and support!

I am working on version 2 of an IoT project for a fitness equipment supplier company. This is an equipment monitoring device with simple supervisory control and the customers are fitness clubs. Version 1 was a BeagleBone black device, but once it went out the door we could never update the software. Version 2 is Raspberry Pi 3 and Resin! The device includes a 7" display, and I am using Python3 with wxPython for GUI and MQTT with aws backend. I have created a custom PCB for the IO and it is all working and packaged up nicely.

I was intimidated at first of the conversion to Resin due to no experience with Docker, but in hindsight it really was not so bad. Basically just reworking the app to store all configuration and logs to /data and to create the docker file and startup scripts.

Mostly all that is left is USB Wifi for longer range. I do have some questions on configuring WiFi after deployment from the container app GUI, but I will take that up on a different topic. I just wanted to jump in and say thanks.

• Shawn
4 Likes

Hey @ShawnDavis, thanks a lot for sharing, that sounds great! And thanks for the kind words. Fitness equipment sounds cool too (just reminded me that I’m sitting way too much all day :confused: )

Yeah, the wifi configuration is something that came up quite a few times, and lots of people are looking into it.

Glad to hear that it worked out, and if you have any lessons to share, things that you picked up when you were reworking the app for Docker, we’d love to hear, I bet we all have things to learn!

I am working on a multi-function VPN appliance/content unblocker.

– ab1

I’m working on building an open source low cost river level monitoring system.

It cost about $14,000 per year for the USGS to monitor the level of a river, which is far above what most small environmental organizations can afford (or even some states), let alone individuals or groups (like whitewater kayakers).

My goal is to get the initial build price for a single gage down below $1000, and the price to run it for a year around $100 - $200 including the cellular data connection.

I currently am using an ultrasonic sensor to measure the water level. I do have a LIDAR sensor in the mail, which if it can reliably read the surface of the water, it would avoid some of the issues that I’m having with the ultrasonic sensor and wind.

Frankly, I had left this project to the side for 2 years, and it’s been sitting on my desk taunting me. Resin has made it easier to work on it, so I’ve made a bunch of progress since I started using it. I have had to find some interesting work arounds like how to re-enumerate usb devices after adding kernel modules.

Resin will hopefully make it much easier for others to deploy their own systems, compared to the fabfile based install I made before.

1 Like

@fenris, just curious if you are looking at container deltas to minimize the bandwidth used by updates. We also did some tests about a year ago to see how low we could get bandwidth usage on a resin.io-managed device that might be useful to you.

Thanks @mccollam, I have turned on delta’s, but I haven’t pushed any updates yet to my test device in the field.

I need to get through graduating students off this week at regular work, before I can think about projects again.

Motion-detecting camera that uploads GPG-encrypted video and images to S3: https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam

Just in case your AWS keys get compromised, you still have to have the GPG private key to access your videos and images.

1 Like

I am also working on an all-in-one Plex Media Server/Plex Media Player/Sonarr+torrent downloader for x86 machines using Docker Compose in Resin.io. The work on Plex Media Player should help make the x86 machine a true all in one solution that can be connected to a TV for a truly thick (hyperconverged) media player experience.

I’m also working on baking-in hardware-accelerated video for Plex Media Player on ARM devices like my Odroid, and possibly RPI3’s and RPI Zero with help from friends.

1 Like