Using balenaOS on Raspberry Pi 3 A+

We were very excited to see the recent announcement by the Raspberry Pi Foundation regarding their new Raspberry Pi variant, the 3 A+. It is a cool form factor and an interesting board. See the announcement:

Now we got some of the boards at hand, and unfortunately, they don’t work out of the box with the latest, 2.26.0+rev1 version of balenaOS. We are looking into it, likely will just need a firmware version bump and a new release.

Will update you here once we support the A+!

In the meantime, give this post a :heart: if you’d like to see the RPi3 A+ working with balenaOS! :smiley:

8 Likes

When can we expect the RPI 3A+ suppport? Is there a beta/pre-release available?

1 Like

Hi Tim, we’ve done a lot of the work for this already and will hopefully have an initial release out within the next couple of weeks.

3 Likes

Hi Chrisys,

2.29 rev 1 works fine. Thanks, great work!

2 Likes

Yep, support for the 3 A+ was added in balenaOS 2.29.0. Here’s the GitHub issue that was tracking progress: https://github.com/balena-os/balena-raspberrypi/issues/274

Glad to hear it’s working, Tim!

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Regarding the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ can we use a 64-bit BalenaOS version ?
I try one from rpi4 and one from rpi1 none work.

My bad… would say try image from rpi3 (64) but I think I just use the one from the pi4 :confused:

Just to know, from the rpi3 image I see that we are in 2.47.0 with supervisor in 10.6.27. Any prevision for the 2.48.0 / 10.8.0 version ?

The RPi3 A+ should work fine with the 64bit OS
I am not sure I understood your follow up question. Can you please clarify?

Yeah sorry.

I just made some more test.

from the BalenaCloud if I add a RPi3 A+ with the 64bit img it never register in dashboard (the raspberry itself seem to correctly boot, I have the balena logo). It work with the classic (32bits) RPi3 img.

Hi

Can you try

• using the development image of balenaOS instead of the production
  • The development images of balenaOS output logs on serial. Can you also get us those logs using a serial cable? That will enable us to determine what kind of networking issue we are looking at

Hi,

I’m on dev image. Any way to get access to the log without a serial cable ? (screen+keyboard on the raspberry)

Hi,
I’ve passed this to our devices team and we will get back to you.
In the mean time, does the ACT led blink with any specific pattern?
If so, then can you identify the pattern in our known error code patterns?
Let me also point you to the respective documentation page:
https://www.balena.io/docs/faq/troubleshooting/troubleshooting/#error-notifications

Kind regards,
Thodoris

Hi,

Just made a test. The ACT green led stay static, no blink. It blink without patterns during the boot and stay static when the balena logo come up.

Hi, we have reproduced this issue on our side also.We’ll be looking into it and come back to you when we make progress.

Great thank you for the info

Hi, any update on this? We are having same problem with RPi 3 A+ and 2.47.0 - it appears in dashboard but never shows OS version and does not take a release.

It also goes off/on wifi continuously.

I am trying 2.38.0 now…

Can I ask, our project was originally configured for RPi4, so we cannot access the 32-bit OS for RPi3:

Do I need to change the project back to a RPi3?

2.38.0 works.
2.46.1 won’t even appear in dashboard!

So, all good for now, I can use 2.38.0

Hi, this is still in the queue. Thanks for the further check. Will update this thread once we start working into it and make some progress.

1 Like

Hi, Any update on the issue with rpi 3 a+ with the 64bit? I have tried all the available versions but no luck… (2.38 2.46.1 and 2.47 with both dev and prod versions). Thanks.