Upgrading from Belena Etcher 1.7.9 to 1.10.2 on Windows 7 64 bit.

How long is the installer supposed to take?
How is the installer even managing to take this long?
It’s hardly using any CPU.
It’s hardly accessing the disk at all.
I have changed its priority to High and the priority of the old_uninstaller process it spawned to High too.
What amazing new technique for getting the worst performance possible out of a computer has your team come up with?
Also, what kind of amazing super powered PC are you testing on?
Surely your testers don’t wait several hours every time they test the installer do they?

Hey @BrianG61UK

Lighten up on the passive-aggressive questions. You never know who will read them and how it’s going to affect their day. We maintain etcher because the community needed it and still uses it. We release it for free and maintain it for free.

That said let’s do something useful with this interaction.
My version on my local computer running windows 10 is also on 1.7.9. I see auto-updates as enabled.
I don’t see the auto-update feature prompting me to update at all. How did you end up with an installer? Did it prompt you?

Secondly, this seems to be urgent. I would recommend killing it entirely and uninstalling it entirely. Re-downloading the new version and installing it should resolve this. I am happy to do a root cause analysis as it would be useful to know if auto-update is failing on windows version 1.7.9. But this will be your fastest way to resolve this.
-Thomas

Hey @BrianGG1UK
My version of etcher auto-updated in the background to 1.10.6. Since it is unlikely we will be able to do a root cause analysis on your install. I would now fully recommend the uninstall and reinstall path.
-Thomas

Okay uninstalling and then installing new version seems to work much better on both my PCs.
However when I run it I just get a white dialog box. Nothing else.
Same for version 1.12.2 I found on Github.

Any idea what the last version that actually works on Windows 7 was?

I’m also wondering if I should use an older version for Windows 7, I’m getting the white box too. Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

I think 1.7.9 might actually be the last Windows 7 compatible version!
Maybe I’d discovered that before and then forgot, or maybe I thought it was a bug and would be fixed in later versions.
My top post in this thread came about because I needed Etcher again after not using it for a long time.

Hi there,
until we fix the new versions you can still use the 1.7.9 which works on 32bit systems (like your windows 7)
Download it from the original source on github: Release v1.7.9 · balena-io/etcher · GitHub
especially the files

• balenaEtcher-Portable-1.7.9.exe
  • balenaEtcher-Setup-1.7.9.exe
    are for you (on windows)

you probably want to turn off auto updates (in the settings of etcher) for the time being so your version won’t update to a non 32bit one