Auto update request

I saw a couple of posts about this topic in 2019. Is their a way to have the software at least look to see if their is a new update that can be installed when you load their program??\

Hey there! What OS system and installation mechanism are you using? Etcher should, by default (unless you are on GNU/Linux and using deb or rpm packages), check for updates on startup and provide a modal to ask you to update if needed. Can you check if update notifications are enabled in the settings page (the cog at the top right corner)?

I asked about the auto update some time ago - see https://forums.balena.io/t/how-does-the-auto-update-work/ and was told that it was active for the version I was using then, v1.5.30.

I waited to see if I’d get a notification, but never did, so I manually updated to v1.5.59. This has also never got any notifications about updates, so as there seem to have been a lot of changes, I’m just about to manually update again.

I’ve checked the settings and auto-updates are enabled.

In the discussion of my earlier question I was told that the auto updater would only be triggered for some releases. I’d find it useful if the versions that should automatically update were identified in the release notes.

I’m running Etcher on Windows 10.

Hi @drghughes

Can you please let us know which package type you’re using? One of our Etcher engineers has indicated that auto-updates are only expected to work on the Installer version, not the Portable version.

Thank you, and kind regards
Alida

Thanks for getting back to me @AlidaOdendaal.

I download the Download for Windows (x86|x64) version that appears by default at https://www.balena.io/etcher/ - current file is balenaEtcher-Setup-1.5.79.exe. I then run that file to install it. It installs in %appdata% - its choice not mine, as I hate programmes that do that, but the installer doesn’t give me any other options.

Hopefully you can figure out from that whether this is the Installer or Portable version.

If I’m using the wrong one, where do I get the right one?

Hopefully you can figure out from that whether this is the Installer or Portable version.

It’s the Installer variant. The Portable one has a corresponding suffix in the name.

Our team that maintains Etcher acknowledged that there is a problem with the auto-update implementation. We’ll update this thread once we have news on the fix.

Any news on this? I just manually updated to v1.5.120 as there seemed to be no sign that Etcher was going to auto-update.

Any news on this?

@mcraa, do you have any more information about the auto update feature in Etcher? I have been wondering for some time how it is intended to work, as I always have it enabled, but it doesn’t keep the application up to date (macOS), so I wonder if I am encountering the same issue as @drghughes

@chrisys thanks for the ping.
By checking the source I see, the last auto update was to v1.5.81.
So no surprise neither windows nor mac users getting updates.
It should be triggered by a single parameter during build.
I need to look around to check if it was turned off by mistake or intentionally.
If there is nothing serious you can expect auto update to 1.7.3 soon.

1 Like

Update:
We made necessary changes in etcher itself and identified the pain points in the surrounding infrastructure.

TL;DR: from v1.7.7 etcher is able to receive the update notification

ps.: as said before the notification needs to be triggered during the build of the new version, so it is possible there will be “silent” releases too

Hey there

Etcher’s auto-update feature periodically checks for updates and silently installs them in the background. However, there might be issues preventing the updates from happening.
To resolve this, you can try manually updating Etcher from the official website or checking for updates within the application settings.
For the most up-to-date information, refer to the official Etcher website or community forums…

If you’re having trouble with Etcher auto-update feature, you’re not alone. You can manually update from the official website or check within the application settings.