Updating a Raspberry PI device with services is extremely slow.

Hi All,

I’ve managed to deploy services onto a virtual instance of Balena before and thats performed as expected and was quick.

So I then installed Balena variant of raspberry pi OS onto a pi4 and attempted to deploy the same services onto that device.

The device is registered and showing as online but the downloading of the services onto the device takes hours. They are small docker containers so not sure why its taking so long. The device is also connected to ethernet and has access to fast internet so that cant be it.

I ran device health check and everything is fine except

Some networking issues detected:
test_ipv6_stack: Could not contact https://ipv6.google.com

But that cant be the reason the update process is so slow could it?

Not sure why its so slow, it eventually works if i leave it for like 6+ hours.

Hello @sgeorgekterio first of all welcome to the balena community!

Some questions that come to my mind:

• Could you please share how big is your release?
  • How the device is connected to the Internet?
  • Is this the only device performing this issue? or this is only happening to this device?
  • What SD card are you using on your Pi?

My release should be quite small as im using alpine base image for the service containers. I think around 50mb total.

Device is connected via ethernet but i’ve also tried wifi and its still equally slow.

I only have access to one device at the moment so its the only one acting this way, i’ve tried it with a virtual instance of balena on a different workstation and it was fine - its only slow on the pi4.

I’ve got balena running on a USB instead of an SD card, could read/write speeds affect the download that much?

Maybe the SD card is damaged? Could you please try with another SD card?

Im using a USB device, ive tried all slots.

But ok ill try an SD card tomorrow.

1 Like

Let me know how this work @sgeorgekterio

I replaced it with an A2 sd card and it works correctly now. Thanks.

Thanks for confirming @sgeorgekterio

Let us know how we can help you more!