The balena ADS-B Thread

Hi @Ketil ,

I am trying to use Balena more and more for projects and finding your ADSB tracker is a great example of deployment. Love what you have done !

I am trying to take the Dump1090 feed and send it through to a CoT server for integration onto another app (ATAK). Do you have any steps on how I may achieve adding ADSBCOT ( ampledata/adsbcot: ADS-B to Cursor on Target (CoT) Gateway for ATAK & WinTAK SA platforms. (github.com)) to the ADS-B Balena setup please?

I have all the other server setup and ready on a certain IP address to start taking the ADSB CoTs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

1 Like

Anyone able to assist with the above :point_up: please or help with any pointers?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @Tissy,

Thanks for your kind feedback. It’s both inspirational and motivating. :slight_smile:

I have no experience with CoT applications, but after a quick look at https://github.com/ampledata/adsbcot, it seems that you can configure it to pull dump1090’s JSON output file using this command -D DUMP1090_URL. Am I understanding you correctly that you already have adsbcot up and running on a separate device?

HI @Ketil, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes you are correct, however instead of taking the feed from the JSON, it can be done through beast on port 3005.

I have a standalone instance of FlightAware with adsbcot running perfectly, but would like to integrate it into Balena for multiple deployments. Perhaps this separate post may assist in understanding where I am stuck.

Help creating container. - Product support / balenaOS - balenaForums

Thanks again and keep up the great work :slight_smile:

Hello, Sorry, but I did not find an answer: I tested with the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W but it does not work. Is it compatible with balena ADS-B?

What error do you get @jbpomme ?

Hi @jbpomme,

You might get balena-ads-b to run on a Pi Zero 2, but you might have to remove some of the standard services first. The project has grown a bit over the years, and now requires more horsepower than it did initially.

1 Like

Hi @Tissy,

Did you succeed in getting your integration up and running?

Kind regards,
Ketil

1 Like

Hi @Ketil , Yes I did manage to figure it out in the end.

Many thanks for asking,

Steve

1 Like

Awesome @Tissy, thanks for your response.

H- how can I edit the fr24feed.ini file?

Fr24 are asking for the following edits to be made as a quality issue. I’d like ot change the fr24 feed only, not as a global variable. If I term into the Fr24 container I can cat the file, but cannot edit it.

Many thanks,
Rich

Hi @rtype23,

The balena-ads-b repo has now been updated to reflect the changes requested by Flightradar24. You need to update to the latest version to put the changes into effect. See the following section in the readme if you want to know how you do this: GitHub - ketilmo/balena-ads-b: ADS-B Flight Tracker running on balena with support for FlightAware, Flightradar24, PlaneFinder, OpenSky Network, RadarBox and ADSB Exchange.

This ticket also has some more information about the change: Flightradar24 requiring MLAT to be disabled on custom receivers · Issue #54 · ketilmo/balena-ads-b · GitHub

Let me know if you have further questions.

Super - many thanks Ketil!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that a shiny new version of balena-ads-b has just been released! It includes, among other things, UAT tracking support – which is currently only available in the US.

Check out our GitHub repo for all the details, or upgrade to the latest version using our favorite big blue button:

Deploy with balena

Enjoy! And don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions.

1 Like

Hi - with the recent news of ADSBx and the commercial deal fracturing the community I’d like to support the other ADSBx clones too that have popped up over the past few weeks. I’ve very little git experience however. I assume I need to copy the ADSBx section and populate to feed the new sites, and mirror or reuse the variables, and something to start each service? I’m using a Pi 4 4GB so have plenty of resources to use.

Any pointers you could advise?

Once again many thanks for the excellent project!
Rich

Hi @RType23,

Thanks for reaching out. It’s great that you want to contribute to the project. What ADSBX clones are you looking into? They may be relatively straightforward to implement if they are similar to other alternatives. (I have also replied here: ASDB Exchange forks / clones · ketilmo/balena-ads-b · Discussion #76 · GitHub)

Hey there!

I have just recieved another RTLSDR reciever and an antenna I would like to add to my existing setup.
There is already a dongle connected and working and I was wondering if and how one can add another dongle to the same Raspberry Pi.

Hi @memaxwell!

Thanks for reaching out. See my answer in this thread.

1 Like

Dear @Ketil
I have just got into your nice ads-b work through balena.I have put it on a Raspberry 3b+ and tested with a rtl-sdr dongle that worked very nice ; the problem is just the signal inside my building is not so good.
I have one receiver on rooftop that is working for years and feeding both raw and decrypted outputs to my local virtual radar through lan.
Now I want to know if there is any way to make the balena ADS-B station behave somehow like a relay station to get the raw feed from my first unit and share it to other flight trackers ?(which guess it could be done) and if yes,how could it be done( may be inserting variables and values to the console?)
Thanks a lot
Mhayar