Pi Zero 2 W losing wifi / IP address and crashing

Hello all!

Unsure if this is OS related or a bad board (had to source one on ebay) so hoping to get some advice either way to diagnose this!

I received a Pi Zero 2 to load a balenaCloud project onto, however it will only run for a few minutes before losing its IP address. The device seems to continue to run for a while, flashing the LED 4 times to indicate it’s lost the connection.

I’ve spoken to @chrisys who has the same project loaded on a Zero 2 and it seems to be running fine on his one!

I managed to get a dmesg log before it fell over: gist:44acb89e7b4bb93cf2e372a44b5df166 · GitHub

A bit of internet sleuthing seems to suggest it may be overheat related. I noticed on boot the CPU is nailed and the temps sit at 75C according to the dashboard.

Just making sure it’s nothing OS related before I try to send this (overpriced) Zero 2 back to the seller!

Cheers,
James

Kind of update: Managed to secure a Pi Zero 2 at RRP from The Pi Hut in the UK so this scalped one is now in an envelope waiting to be returned (and is probably DOA anyway)!

If this issue persists onto the second one I will let you know!

@alanb128 is someone who probably has a Zero 2 that he could try and replicate with to see if we can reproduce this. I’d say it’s rare that something would be DOA on a Pi, their testing is pretty good from what I’ve seen!

Meant to follow up on this, sorry! I plugged a brand new board in with the same SD card and it’s sitting here merry as anything at 55C consistently for over 24 hours now!

I have a suspicion the board I bought from ebay wasn’t as new as the seller was letting on

1 Like

Ah good news! Glad you are up and running :slight_smile:

@CalamityJames actually it looks like you’re not alone with the Zero 2 problems: Raspberry Pi Zero 2w

I wonder, since you have both a working and troublesome unit, are there any visual differences between the two?

I actually sent the defective unit back already, but luckily already took a photo of it. Let me compare…

“Defective” unit:

Working unit:

@CalamityJames thanks for these photos. Which version of balenaOS are you running?

@alanb128 I was originally running 2.115.18 but then rolled back to 2.105.21 as that was the version @chrisys was using on his Pi Zero 2, both versions exhibited the same issues on that board.

@CalamityJames is here publicly shaming me for not keeping my OS up to date :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@chrisys hahaha sorry mate, i mean it’s not like it’s a mission critical application though, right!

Well, unless you don’t want to be late for your train :laughing:

1 Like