Please use the thread below to discuss the related blog post:
The deployed image is not pulled by a device installed on top of NUC Intel (VM Virtual Box) VM.
I have prepared a golden image (converted) according to instructions and flashed it to the VM.
Next I removed one storage (the same as if unplugged USB) and executed the commands:
balena push fleet_2
balena deploy fleet_2
But I see no effect! The release version is created in balenaCloud dashboard.
But device is not pulling a new image with configured containerized application.
Any ideas why?
There could be a number of reasons why the application is not being pulled down. I just followed the tutorial and got the application pulled down and running. At first I made a mistake of not adding the 2nd drive to the VM, which caused the entire process to fail.
So far I see two possible reasons: 1. your device is showing offline, so it could be a networking issue, or 2. there is some kind of error applying a boot config, which could indicate something wrong with the storage that you selected.
Here are the steps that I followed, which worked:
- Create a new fleet (or select existing), I created a fleet
- Add device, download the image (the file was
- unzip the image
- convert it to VM disk:
VBoxManage convertdd balena-cloud-testnuc-intel-nuc-2.98.33-v13.1.11.img testnuc.vmdk --format VMDK
- Create new machine w/4gb ram WITHOUT a disk
- in Settings, ensure VM System config is correct (as per tutorial):
6.1 Disable I/O APIC (default setting can result in a boot crash)
6.2 Enable EFI (the NUC image is set up for UEFI boot)
- In Settings > Storage, add new SATA controller
- Create new VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) and add it to the controller (i set 8gb)
- Add the converted disk to the same controller (at this point you should see the contoller with port count as 2 and have 2 disks, with your 8gb one being first)
- in Settings > Network select NAT
- Run the VM, wait until it shows up in dashboard and settles with Online status
- On the local machine, clone a Masterclass CLI repo:
git clone https://github.com/balena-io/balena-cli-masterclass
- deploy it to the fleet:
cd balena-cli-masterclass && balena push builder555/testnuc(you’ll need to replace the last part with your own username/fleet)
After a few seconds, in the logs it showed “Hello world”
Please try these steps and see if you get the same result