No device variables created

I have a Pi 3 B+ with a RAK2245. I created the image per the tutorial via balenaEtcher and chose Development and balenaOS 2.115.18. The device shows up in my belana dashboard but it doesn’t have any tags (EUI) nor any Device Variables. I have not been able to get it to connect to TTN. I’ve tried using the MAC address with FF FE inserted in the middle. Any ideas why no Device Variables were created or why I can’t connect to TTN?

Could you link to the tutorial you are following?

Hello @jmpratt first of all welcome to the balena community!

Could you please try to use this project? GitHub - xoseperez/basicstation: Basics™ Station Packet Forward protocol using Docker looks like you have a problem with your MAC addresses.

Just click the Deploy with balena blue button from here and follow the instructions.

Thank you @mpous! I followed that project and was able to get it working. My gateway is communicating with TTS! Now to add some devices!

1 Like

This is awesome @jmpratt thanks for sharing this!

what are you going to connect if it’s possible to know?

I have a blackberry farm. The gateway will be placed on a 20’ tower in the blackberry field (in a few weeks). I am going to create 5 to 10 soil moisture and temperature sensors based on Heltec ESP32 LORA modules to monitor soil conditions. I have one module communicating with the gateway, but it’s just sending random data. I will try and get the sensor data working this weekend.

1 Like

oh wow @jmpratt this looks great! please share more! Looking forward to see pictures of the tower and sensors. Are you planning on using solar panels to charge batteries on sensors?