Mac OS Catalina 10.15 seems to be NOT preventing writing to SD, but

Attempting to write Raspberry PI image reports
“Something went wrong”

Same image on and older mac works

Hi,

Forwarding your question to the Etcher team.

Regards!

Hi,

MacOS Catalina is a beta version and we didn’t yet start porting Etcher for it.

Also it would be best to report Etcher issues in the github repo:
https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/new

There we have an issue template that helps gather useful debugging information.

Regards!

Argh. I attempted to get information from DevTools to add to git and flash was successful.

Tried another SD card today “something went wrong”
Where IS devtools?

Hi @dg12 I believe you can open the devTools with the key combination of cmd+alt+i . Let me know if that doesn’t work.

From devtools; console:

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open ‘/Volumes/DATA/dgerman/Documents/computerstuff/hardware/pi/SDimages/i/2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip’
/Volumes/DATA/dgerman/.bin/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/raven.js:58

Sun Jun 30 2019 08:33:57 GMT-0400 (EDT) Open modal ({“name”:“warning”,“applicationSessionUuid”:“c8c7003a-5741-4484-b98c-4f37fe3cabb6”,“flashingWorkflowUuid”:“521ab4a8-f281-4360-8af3-6964b792d80a”,“sample”:0.1})
/Volumes/DATA/dgerman/.bin/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/raven.js:58

{“stack”:“Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open ‘/Volumes/DATA/dgerman/Documents/computerstuff/hardware/pi/SDimages/i/2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip’”,“message”:“EPERM: operation not permitted, open ‘/Volumes/DATA/dgerman/Documents/computerstuff/hardware/pi/SDimages/i/2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip’”,“name”:“Error”,“code”:“EPERM”,“syscall”:“open”,“errno”:-1,“image”:“2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip”}
console.(anonymous function) @ /Volumes/DATA/dgerman/.bin/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/raven.js:58

Flash results Object

Terminating IPC server

catalina IS preventing reading from Documents directory (see GitHub Issue)

Sorry about the confusion.

No worries. Thanks for the update. Cheers!

I had to run the app via terminal as root:
sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher
in order to get it working. Not sure if that is advisable though.

1 Like

That is not advisable indeed, please check this issue for an in depth explanation: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2843.

yes, “sudo” works!!