Etcher failing to install writer process ended unexpectedly, try again,

I downloaded the ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso and also balenaEtcher-1.5.93.dmg on my MacBook Air running macos Catalina version 10.15.4; I erased the USB disk drive set up as MD-Dos format as per the ubuntu guide.

When I try to use etcher it lets me select the flash from the file on my mac and the target device then the flash drive, it warns me it is unusually large [160Mb] but I click on continue. I keep getting the writer process ended unexpectedly, try again, which I keep doing but get no result.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Chris

Hi @chris_edge,

Are you running balenaEtcher as a regular or elevated user? Also, if you use the Mac disk tool(s), does it show the USB drive as healthy?

John

John

I have full admin rights and undertook the dive utility first aid and all ok.

Chris

Chris Edge
M: 07976301621

Hi @chris_edge,

@jtonello has asked the Etcher team to take a look, however I have just verified writing the same Ubuntu image to a 250GB USB drive with the same version of Etcher on my MacBook Pro. While we wait for them to get back to you maybe we can get more debug information for them to investigate. Can you open Etcher, go to the View menu and select “Toggle Developer Tools” then go to the console tab. That’s where any errors will be logged during flashing. Give it another go and drop any logs in here.

Thanks!
James.

I will look tommorow getting late in Wimbledon now and just finished a zoom wine tasting, hic🤪

Chris Edge

Roger that. Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

James

Managed to get 2 US~B devices setup, now finding issues rebooting form either open a Mac or PC

Many thanks for your help.

Chris

Hi Chris,
If you could follow James’s advice and drop us the log, it will help us to look into what might be going on for you. Here’s it is again:

Can you open Etcher, go to the View menu and select “Toggle Developer Tools” then go to the console tab. That’s where any errors will be logged during flashing. Give it another go and drop any logs in here.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil

Thanks, but managed to install now trying to get it to boot from a PC or mac!

Chris

Chris Edge

Glad to hear you got it running, Chris.