Error when starting balena-etcher

I get the following error when I start balena_etcher…
[root@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]# ./balena-etcher-electron
./balena-etcher-electron: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[root@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]#

I’m running Red Hat 6.9 64 bit.

[root@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]# uname -a
Linux oc7881751743.ibm.com 2.6.32-696.20.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 12 15:07:59 EST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]#

I installed using sudo “yum install -y balena-etcher-electron” which seemed to install correctly.

The missing shared library seems to be for a 32 bit system, but I’m runnng a 64bit system ?

What am I missing ?

Thanks,

Hi @surf408

Thanks for your query. Can you please try running:
yum install gtk3

If this is not successful, you can try
yum whatprovides libgtk-3.so.0

and install the suggested package(s).

Then, try running Balena Etcher again, and please let us know the outcome!

Thanks, and kind regards
Alida

Hello Alida,

Here’s what I get when I run the above commands…

[root@oc7881751743 red hat]# yum install gtk3
Loaded plugins: downloadkvmonly-background, downloadonly-background, refresh-
: packagekit, security, versionlock
Setting up Install Process
No package gtk3 available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@oc7881751743 red hat]# yum whatprovides libgtk-3.so.0
Warning: 3.0.x versions of yum would erroneously match against filenames.
You can use “*/libgtk-3.so.0” and/or “bin/libgtk-3.so.0" to get that behaviour
No Matches found
[root@oc7881751743 red hat]#
[root@oc7881751743 red hat]# yum whatprovides "
/libgtk-3.so.0”
No Matches found
[root@oc7881751743 red hat]#

Hello,
It looks like gtk3 is not provided before RHEL 7.
You won’t be able to use recent versions of Etcher on RHEL 6.9.
You should either update your distribution or try older versions of Etcher (<=1.5.65).

Hello Zvin

I’ve installed balena-etcher-electron.x86_64 0:1.5.51-1 and here’s what I get…
[garibay@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher] sudo ./balena-etcher-electron ./balena-etcher-electron: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory [garibay@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]

and with balena-etcher-electron.x86_64 0:1.4.9-1 I get…
garibay@oc7881751743 balenaEtcher]$ sudo ./balena-etcher-electron
[sudo] password for garibay:
./balena-etcher-electron: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./balena-etcher-electron) ./balena-etcher-electron: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.14’ not found (required by ./balena-etcher-electron)
./balena-etcher-electron: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by ./balena-etcher-electron) ./balena-etcher-electron: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.14’ not found (required by /opt/balenaEtcher/libnode.so)
./balena-etcher-electron: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15’ not found (required by /opt/balenaEtcher/libnode.so)

Any other sugeestions ?

Thanks,

Hey Larry,

In the first case, balena-etcher-electron.x86_64 0:1.5.51-1 is still trying to unsuccessfully load GTK3, which it cannot find in your system. I believe that finding a way to install GTK3, which should be pretty mainstream at this point, would solve the problem. I’m not familiar with RHEL, but there might be some resources in the internet about your particular RHEL setup + GTK3.

In the second case, the standard C++ library provided by RHEL, libstdc++, doesn’t seem to match the requirements that Etcher has. From the other error, my guess is that the C++ standard library that RHEL provides is also pretty slow, but can you run the following command and paste the output here to confirm?

strings /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6

Hello Juan,

There was a problem sending the output of “strings /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6” directly in the response. Too many characters in the note back to you.

So I’m attaching a compressed file of the output.

Thanks,

(Attachment test.zip is missing)

Hey @surf408, sorry but I am not able to access the attachment to your message. I see you sent it by email, not sure if this is the reason why its not here… Could you try posting directly from Error when starting balena-etcher and attaching it again?

Thanks and sorry again for the inconvenience

Hello,
Here’s the error popup I get when I enter the above strings commandand then paste it into this response.

“Body is limited to 32000 characters; you entered 187371.
Sorry, new users can only mention 2 users in a post”

Lots of output from the strings command that’s why I attached a compressed file…
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Hi,
You could create a gist (https://gist.github.com/) with the output and link it here?
Thanks