Booting from SSD raspberry pi 4

Hi guys, I was wondering seeing as RaspberryPi4 now supports a stable release of booting from an USB device, if I could set this up for my balenaOS device?

Thanks,

Hello Ethan, thank you for reaching out.

Currently USB booting for the RaspberryPi 4 is in the roadmap. We were waiting for the Raspberry Pi Foundation to implement it.

We will let you know once this is available.

Hello!

Sweet and I believe they’ve released there stable version? That’s why I was curious when you guys would implement it!

Do you know of a workaround currently?

Hey Ethan, there is any simple workaround.

We opened a Github issue that you can follow here

We recommend to wait for the official support solution.

Any update on this? I noticed the pull request has been merged but I couldn’t find any documentation on how to do this.

Thanks

Hey Wyatt

I am one of the engineers at Balena who has this working, and have written down some documentation. Would you be willing to take it for a spin and try it out? Would love some feedback.

I have had this running for a while and love the extra speed and space I get !

Hello @wyatt did you solve your issue or would you like to test te new documentation?

Sorry for the delay, yes I would love to try out the new documentation. I took a break from this because I was trying to get gitea + adguard in a multicontainer setup with an ssd mounted for gitea, and I just couldn’t get it to work. I’d be happy to try it again though, with the help of these new docs.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey Im happy to be a tester.

1 Like

hey @drosegw

can you see the above link? If so there’s the post that should help you get started with using a SSD