balenaOS can not boot, type b power error indicated, pi works

Hi, so I got two new raspi 3 A+ (tested them with another OS and they work fine) and want to run balenaOS on them. I tried a number of versions (64 bit, 32 bit, newest version, older versions, production and development etc) but I always get the same error code right after plugging the power cable in (4 long 7 short which apparently means type b power error). There is no other output and I could not find anything about a related issue so I appreciate any kind of help.

Hello, for the error code, are you referring to the green LED? That flashing usually indicates a boot issue of some sort (rpi-update, now no longer boots - Raspberry Pi Forums) Please provide the copyright date on the board (where it reads c Raspberry Pi 2018 or 2022) near the GPIO pins. Perhaps you have a newer revision of the board. I just tested balenaOS 4.0.26 on a 3A+ (2018) and it did boot normally.

Hello,

My colleague asked:

Please provide the copyright date on the board (where it reads c Raspberry Pi 2018 or 2022) near the GPIO pins.

I’m guessing that you are using the 2022 version (which was actually released in 2023). That version needs updated firmware, which we will incorporate into balenaOS. There is a GitHub PR for this: rpi-bootfiles.bbappend: Update rpi firmware to version 20230509 by floion · Pull Request #1075 · balena-os/balena-raspberrypi · GitHub. Since you can follow the progress in the PR, I’m going to close this ticket. But if you have a remaining question, you are welcome to reply and the ticket will automatically re-open.