Balena Sound - stereo to mono remap not working

Hello guys,

I am running the latest balenaSound on Rasp4 with Hifiberry AMP2 DAC connected to just one speaker (ceiling speaker). When I modify the “balena-sound.pa” according to issue #187 I get no sound at all.

When I use the regular file everything works just fine, except having just the right channel.
Any ideas on what to try to get stereo remapped to mono?

Many thanks,
Andreas

Hi @wanni, can you share the contents of your balena-sound.pa file? Did you copy it exactly as the GitHub issue?

Ok I think I know what the problem is. The pa file you copied uses PIPE sink for snapcast which hasn’t been used in balenaSound for some time now, so it makes sense you don’t get any audio out. The updated pa file looks like this:

# See https://sound.balenalabs.io/docs/architecture for details

# Create balena-sound sinks
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=balena-sound.input
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=balena-sound.output
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=snapcast

load-module module-remap-sink master=balena-sound.input sink_name=balena-sound.mono sink_properties="device.description='Mono'" channels=2 channel_map=mono,mono

# Route audio internally, loopback sinks depend on configuration. See start.sh for details:
# balena-sound.input: For multiroom it's routed to snapcast sink, for standalone directly wired to balena-sound.output
# balena-sound.output: Set to audio sink specified by audio block
load-module module-loopback latency_msec=%INPUT_LATENCY% source="balena-sound.mono.monitor" %INPUT_SINK%
load-module module-loopback latency_msec=%OUTPUT_LATENCY% source="balena-sound.output.monitor" %OUTPUT_SINK%

# Route all plugin input to the default sink
set-default-sink balena-sound.input