Balena not working with PiTFT display

hi

thank you for reading. I am Anthony, and I am fairly new to Raspberry Pi and to BalenaCloud.

I followed the steps and got the unicorn when I tried to push balena to my raspberry pi, but all I get is a white screen and nothing else. It seems to also be working fine on the dashboard, so Im not sure why all I am getting is a white screen on my Pi. The display is a 3.5" display on a raspberry pi 3. I was able to get the display to show an image using another application, so I am not sure why I am not even able to get the balena logo on the device.

any help would be appreciated !
Anthony

Hey Anthony, are you following the getting started guide? I don’t think that takes into account setting up the display. I would recommend you have a look at https://www.balena.io/blog/make-a-web-frame-with-raspberry-pi-in-30-minutes/ and let us know if you run into any issues with that

yes I followed that to the letter and got everything right - I even saw the unicorn in the terminal window.

unfortunately, all i get is a white screen on the display. I dont even get the balena Dash logo on the screen.

Hey, did you apply all of the configuration variables correctly? Often this can be the issue with screens not working properly.

I followed the instructions to the letter. The only thing I changed was the
Define device GPU memory in megabytes.
[RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_gpu_mem] to 396.

the weird thing is that it was working fine before I tried this. Is there a way that I can uninstall Balena?

Uninstalling balenaOS from your device is as simple as reflashing your SD card with another OS. I would try the configuration values from this thread before that though, as the 3.5" tfts can behave slightly differently: 3.5" TFT with RaspberryPi