Another "User did not grant permission" problem

I downloaded and installed Etcher without any problems, in order to create a Linux boot SD drive. But when I tried to flash the .iso file, Etcher said:

Attention

Something went wrong. If it is a compressed image, please check that the archive is not corrupted.

User did not grant permission.

I checked the developer info:

Sun Jan 03 2021 04:16:47 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) Write failed ({"image":{"size":1984790528,"name":"linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso","hasMBR":true,"partitions":[{"offset":331776,"size":4063232,"type":239,"index":1}],"extension":"iso","path":"C:\\Users\\david\\Data - not synced\\Setup\\IT\\OS\\GNULinux\\linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso"},"drives":[{"size":30752636928,"isVirtual":false,"enumerator":"USBSTOR","logicalBlockSize":512,"raw":"\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1","error":null,"isReadOnly":false,"displayName":"D:\\","blockSize":512,"isSCSI":false,"isRemovable":true,"device":"\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1","busVersion":"2.0","isSystem":false,"busType":"USB","isCard":false,"isUSB":true,"devicePath":null,"mountpoints":[{"path":"D:\\"}],"description":"SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 USB Device","isUAS":false,"partitionTableType":"mbr"}],"driveCount":1,"uuid":"43c9139a-84ba-412c-9849-2c414a1f1662","status":"failed","flashInstanceUuid":"43c9139a-84ba-412c-9849-2c414a1f1662","error":{},"sample":0.1,"applicationSessionUuid":"32986797-e541-4b47-8fdb-ef56c5c8d3cf","flashingWorkflowUuid":"15db6602-1661-445e-a168-66b1127da288"})

gui.js:56886 {“stack”:“Error: User did not grant permission.\n at file:///C%3A/Users/david/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:35942:35\n at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:311:5)\n at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:223:5)\n at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)\n at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:283:5)”,“message”:“User did not grant permission.”,“image”:“linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso”}

I next whitelisted Etcher, but it made no difference.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers.

Incidentally, I have v 1.5.113.

And my laptop is running Win 10 20H2.

Can you try running Etcher as an Admin? Do you see the same result?

1 Like

Duh - why didn’t I think of that?!! It worked flawlessly. Many thanks!

I didn’t read anything about running as admin on the web site or within the program. Might it be a useful addition?

Kind regards. Dave

I had also get the same error like,

"Attention

Something went wrong. If it is a compressed image, please check that the archive is not corrupted.

User did not grant permission. "

And i had tried to run etcher as admin, but i got the same error.

so please help me to flash the OS img in sd card

Hello,

Which etcher version are you using (check in the settings) ?
Which OS are you using ?

hi !
I am using windows 7 ultimate OS and
version is 1.5.113
and i want to flash kali linux in sd card

when i had seen developer tools console(Ctrl+shift+i) ,i get 3 errors

error1

{“stack”:“Error: The specified module could not be found.\r\n\\?\C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\resources\app\generated\modules\winusb-driver-generator\build\Release\Generator.node\n at process.func [as dlopen] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)\n at Object.Module._extensions…node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1034:18)\n at Object.func [as .node] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)\n at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:815:32)\n at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:727:14)\n at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:769:28)\n at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:852:19)\n at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)\n at Object. (file:///C%3A/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:42625:22)\n at webpack_require (file:///C%3A/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:16:27)”,“message”:“The specified module could not be found.\r\n\\?\C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\resources\app\generated\modules\winusb-driver-generator\build\Release\Generator.node”}

error2

{“stack”:“Error: User did not grant permission.\n at file:///C%3A/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app/generated/gui.js:35942:35\n at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:311:5)\n at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:223:5)\n at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)\n at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:283:5)”,“message”:“User did not grant permission.”,“image”:“kali-linux-2020.4-rpi4-nexmon-64.img.xz”}

error 3

gui.js:56886 {“message”:“connect ETIMEDOUT 178.128.17.49:443”,“stack”:“Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 178.128.17.49:443\n at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1134:16)”,“config”:{“url”:“https://balena.io/etcher/static/config.json",“method”:“get”,“headers”:{“Accept”:"application/json, text/plain, /”,“User-Agent”:“axios/1.5.113”},“transformRequest”:[null],“transformResponse”:[null],“timeout”:0,“responseType”:“json”,“xsrfCookieName”:“XSRF-TOKEN”,“xsrfHeaderName”:“X-XSRF-TOKEN”,“maxContentLength”:-1},“code”:“ETIMEDOUT”}

Please reply me .

Hey @theuser1, would you mind trying the portable version of balenaEtcher to see if we can get around some of these errors?

Here’s a direct download link for the latest portable version:
https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.5.113/balenaEtcher-Portable-1.5.113.exe

Once downloaded, you can run as administrator with the following steps:

1. right-click on the downloaded .exe and click on Run as administrator
  2. if prompted by UAC, then click on Yes to apply permission to allow the program to run with full permission as an administrator

If you are not prompted by UAC and still see “User did not grant permission.” then it’s possible that UAC was disabled and your user account does not have the permissions required to mount disks.

Yes I had troubleshoot error occurred.
By right click the icon --> then click “Trouble shoot compatibility” ,i had troubleshooted the error.

Hello John,
The instructions mentioned above by my colleague was to run Etcher with administrator privileges. We don’t want to troubleshoot compatibility or use the troubleshoot comparability feature. Pasting the instructions again for you to follow. Please let us know if these work out for you. Here’s a direct download link for the latest portable version: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.5.113/balenaEtcher-Portable-1.5.113.exe

Once downloaded, you can run as administrator with the following steps:

1. right-click on the downloaded .exe to open the list of options and click on Run as administrator option.
  2. if prompted by User Access Control (UAC) prompt by Windows, then click on Yes to apply permissions to allow the program to run with full permission as an administrator.

If you are not prompted by UAC and still see “User did not grant permission.” then it’s possible that UAC was disabled and your user account does not have the permissions required to mount disks. Let us know if you have any issues regarding this, happy to help.

Hello @theuser1

I can see this error in your logs:

The specified module could not be found.\r\n\\?\C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\resources\app\generated\modules\winusb-driver-generator\build\Release\Generator.node

This file should be there, can you please check it is ?

@zvin i download portable ether exe file and run as administrator still i’m facing same issue.

Hello @babablacksheep22 this screenshot shows an installed Etcher, not a portable version.
Pleas try starting it by right-clicking the portable version you downloaded and clicking “run as administrator”.

Did the same as you suggest, installed portable version, Run as administration, still same error showing

Hi, could you please check if Controlled Folder Access is enabled? That could be preventing Etcher to access files on your PC

That was good hint.
While checking this I found out this issue might be caused by installed antivirus software.
In my case it was Symantec Endpoint Protection