Adding additional service to public hub image?

So it seems like a fairly simple thing to do however I’ve never used balenaOS or anything from balena until now.

I deployed the HELIUM-RAK image from the hub onto my device and it’s running great now. However I would like to be able to monitor the device via SNMP since all of my other devices are doing the same.

However I have no clue how I would go about this. Can I just fork the repo on github and then add my own services and images? GitHub - NebraLtd/helium-rak: Balena OpenFleet for RAK v1.5, v2 and MNTD Miners

I guess does anyone have a good doc or tutorial on how to modify already created projects and then publish to use with the dashboard and hub?

Hey @Paintballer4lfe welcome to the forums!

Your request is a common one. It sounds like you’ve had some good success deploying from balenaHub and joining the open fleet! The process is a little different if you would like to customise the app and add more services; you’ve essentially got to create your own fleet, but you have the gist of it right.

You’re going to need to fork the existing code as you’ve identified, then add your additional services. Then create a new fleet in the balenaCloud dashboard, and push your app with the additional services to that fleet. Then, provision your device into your own fleet from the dashboard. You can then choose to publish this back to balenaHub by setting the fleet to public within the settings. This is encouraged as I am sure there are others out there that would like the same services as you.

Here is a blog post I wrote a while back about combining the services from multiple apps into a single one: Two projects, one device: turn your Raspberry Pi into a multitool!

Although this is a manual process today, in the future we plan to give balenaHub the tools and interface needed to be able to do this for you without having to open up the text editor.

I hope this helps!