Wifi management feature request

Hi all,

may I suggest a feature?
I have been developing an IoT platform and a number of features are similar to resin.io. It would be really handy if I could used resin.io and focus on the app development, rather than in the ecosystem around it.

One of the important ones is Wifi management. This is what I have been doing (and struggling a lot on the way) :

1. Device starts an Avahi/zeroconf daemon so it can be easily discovered in the network, regardless of what network interface is connected. That gives users without an wifi dongle a chance to use wired connection and to later setup wifi, via web interface. Device name and type could be configurable.

2. Web interface where the user can list nearby wifi APs and connect to one. AP settings are persisted in the device.

3. If wifi has never been setup and wifi interface is up, then device runs as an Access Point, so user can connect to it from another computer and then setup the device’s wifi to connect to the premisse’s network.

Thanks,
Franklin

Hi Fraklin,

Thank you for your suggestion. It really sounds like a useful feature. I will take points 1 and 2 up with the rest of the team to see how feasible it is for us to implement such a mechanism. Regarding point 3 you can have a look here: https://github.com/resin-io/resin-wifi-connect, I believe this fits your description, if not please do come back to me.

Yours sincerely,
Theodor