Strange error message "GPU process isn't useable"

Hi. I’m new to this forum. I’m running Gentoo Linux on a Dell XPS8930. I installed balenaEtcher-1.5.120-x64.AppImage on a different system (Ubuntu?) a long time ago, and just copied that file into my Gentoo system. It has always worked flawlessly. Today it dies with this message:

[3194:0427/115453.131193:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn’t usable. Goodbye.

I imagine this may have somethig to do with the way I have configured the Linux kernel. I recently went to a lot of trouble to strip all the unnecessary bits out, and build all the hardware functionality I truly need into a monolithic kernel (no initramfs). I don’t run Etcher very often, and I have other versions of Linux installed on my hard disk (Artix, Endeavour, Manjaro, Ubuntu). So I can still use Etcher, by booting into one of those systems. But I’d like to get it working on Gentoo again.

Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

I am also getting this using the Appimage file of version 1.7.9 on kubuntu 22.04

mesa: for the --simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --amdgpu-atomic-optimizations option: may only occur zero or one times!
[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘clarifyTimeoutError’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘forcedJSONParsing’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘silentJSONParsing’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[50031:0428/025939.088466:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn’t usable. Goodbye.
/tmp/.mount_balena1xtnE9/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 50031 Trace/breakpoint trap “${script_dir}”/balena-etcher-electron.bin “$@”

Just for grins, I updated to the latest version of Balena Etcher (1.7.9-x64). Now my error messages look just like Bevil’s, sans the “mesa” stuff.

[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘clarifyTimeoutError’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘forcedJSONParsing’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.9] Transitional option ‘silentJSONParsing’ has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[23163:0505/114112.010250:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn’t usable. Goodbye.
/tmp/.mount_balenaqtd7Np/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 23163 Trace/breakpoint trap “${script_dir}”/balena-etcher-electron.bin “$@”

I had this issue with balenaEtcher and Ubuntu 22.04 AFTER installing a new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card. The fix for me was to add “–disable-gpu-sandbox” to the end of the line when running the executable, or add it to the end of the Exec line in the .desktop file, e.g:
Exec=~/Applications/balenaEtcher-1.7.9-x64.AppImage --disable-gpu-sandbox

Thanks, Brewer. That fixed it for me. Is there a list of runtime options available somewhere?