STEP file for BalenaFin?

Is there a STEP/IGES/Solidworks model for the BalenaFin? I’m looking at integrating it with another PCBA and it would be super helpful to see both mated together in 3D. Alternatively, is there a more thorough dimensioned drawing than the ones in the datasheet? They seem to be missing quite a few key pieces of info.

Hi @eva sure there is :slight_smile: please find it at this link, it is also about to be added to the balenaFin documentation website.

I would also love to hear your feedback about what you found lacking in the datasheet, so that we can work on it!

Thank you! I struggled to find good dimensions for mounting the Balena Fin, mostly in terms of center-to-center hole spacing and hole-to-center of header. Most of the dimensions in the datasheet are fairly relative and arbitrary with no central datum.

Hi @eva we released the CAD files! https://github.com/balena-io/balena-fin/blob/master/documentation/DOCUMENTATION.md#cad-files

Are there any EAGLE .brd files out there of the mounting holes and header positions? It’ll save some grief.

I’m hoping to produce a HAT matching the Fins dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jake,

We don’t have EAGLE files for the balenaFin. On the plus side, I’m currently working on a Fin HAT template for three of the main tools out there (OrCAD/Cadence, Altium and EAGLE). I’ll do my best to prioritize the EAGLE version if that helps.

Cheers,
Nico

1 Like

That would be perfect. It’s all still on schematics at the moment.

Cheers!
Jake

Hi Nico,

Do you have any timeframe for the Hat templates? It would save me hours!

Many thanks,
Jake

@Astoneng, you might want to tag @ntzovanis so he is more likely to be notified

Hey @Astoneng I will try to get it done this week. Which EDA tool are you planning to use?

Cheers,
Nico

Hello @Astoneng, I’ve released the first version of the template here. I went for Altium first and plan to follow up with KiCAD, EAGLE and OrCAD in the future.

Cheers,
Nico

1 Like

@ntzovanis, any chance we could get this for KiCAD? I would prefer it to be in the form of a component (schematic symbol + pcb footprint) over a project template, but either would be welcome.

Hi, we do have this in plans, but there are no specific timelines.
We created an issue on github to track this and we’ll update this thread once we have some news.

Hello @aferm

We’ve uploaded a KiCAD example to the template list. Take a look and let us know if it’s what you were looking for.

Cheers,
Nico.