Second NIC always "unavailable" at startup

I am running on a Ras Pi 3, and I am trying to set a static IP address on a second NIC that I’ve connected via USB. The shell on the host OS shows that the NIC appears as eth1 with no problem. I added /mnt/boot/resin-boot/usb-ethernet with the following:

[connection]
id=usb-ethernet
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth1
permissions=
secondaries=

[ethernet]
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.1.1/24,192.168.1.1
dns=
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

but when I reboot, eth1 still has no static IP. If I run nmcli d, I see:

root@4599018:/mnt/boot/system-connections# nmcli d status
DEVICE           TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
eth0             ethernet  connected     Wired connection 1
resin-dns        bridge    connected     resin-dns
supervisor0      bridge    connected     supervisor0
wlan0            wifi      disconnected  --
eth1             ethernet  unavailable   --
balena0          bridge    unmanaged     --
br-a4fc174ab352  bridge    unmanaged     --
lo               loopback  unmanaged     --
resin-vpn        tun       unmanaged     --

but if I run nmcli connection up id usb-ethernet it properly brings the interface up and sets that static IP.

eth1 needs to have that static IP at startup. How can I do this? Is there a way I can run that nmcli command sometime at startup (after the eth1 device has appeared) or something I’ve configured wrong in NetworkManager?

Update: It turns out that eth1 updates to set that static IP if I simply plug the cable in, but then there is a different problem: the device doesn’t boot properly if the cable is plugged in. I’m guessing that it has reordered the network interfaces.

Second update since I can’t delete this: I just needed never-default=true in the [ipv4] section of the configuration I gave above. The network interfaces weren’t being reordered, but eth1 was being set as the default route when a link was present - so the device was unable to communicate with Resin.

Hi hodapp,

We’re glad that you had this sorted up.

Enjoy using Resin!