Resetting 2FA when logging in using Google Account

Hi there. I login to balena using my Google account. I enabled 2FA back in the day, and everything has been great so far… except that now I’ve changed my phone and I can’t find a way to reset 2FA. When I try to use the “Disable two-factor authentication” button, it asks me for my password, but I don’t have one.

Is there a way for me to associate a password with my account or to reset 2FA without using a password?

Hi @davidg,

I just sent an email to the address associated with your account with instructions to recover your account, please let us know if you do not receive a message from pm@resin.io (though be sure to check your spam folder first!).

Hello,
i got the same problem. I have an new phone and can’t change the 2FA. I got an error, if I try to set a password: “data and hash arguments required”.

I registered my account with google auth.

Hi @ttc
Let me investigate your issue for a bit.
In the mean time is there a chance that you have downloaded your two factor authentication recovery codes?

Hi again,
Do you have an email configured for your account?
Also, is the change password form visible?
Please also clarify whether the change password form is the one that gives you the “data and hash arguments required” error.

Hello,
the email is same as my google-Email. I can change it, but I need a password.
The display of Recovery codes is disabled: “To access your recovery codes, you will need to enter your password.” I have no password.
The “New Password” Fields are enabled. If I fill it out, then comes the error: “data and hash arguments required”

Wait. If I change the mail, than comes: “You don’t have a password, so use this field to create one.”

I set a new one and now is the password field filled.

And now I can change the 2FA.

Hi @ttc
We are glad that this worked for you.
I’ve opened an internal issue to further investigate the state that your dashboard instance ended up in, causing it to show the data and hash arguments required error that you mentioned.

Kind regards,
Thodoris

Hi @ttc,

Just to follow up, we have merged a change to the dashboard that should fix the issue you reported. Thank you again for letting us know, and the fix should be deployed in the next few days.

Hi, guys.

I have used my Google account with the help of my Recovery codes. I reset to factory my cellphone and I try disable 2fA but I can’t. I use my GA pass, but my Balena Acount say “wrong password”. What can I do?.

Thank you!

Hi, to be sure what you’re asking: you used your google account to log into the balenaCloud dashboard? Did you setup 2FA with Google or with balenaCloud?

Hello, I used my Google account to login, but I activated 2FA using my BalenaCloud account, however, when trying to use deactivate to use 2FA on my restored cell phone, it asks for my password, which I do not remember. To access my account I use my Recoverycodes.

Thank you very much

Hi, dashboard is asking for the password, since it was set along with 2fa and google SSO. You’ll need to recover the password before disabling the 2fa. To do so, please visit https://dashboard.balena-cloud.com/password-reset.