Raspberry Pi 4 Resolution Issue when assigning hdmi_format

I am using Screenly OSE show a URL on a TV monitor (3840x2160 resolution).

Not editing any variables, the image is clear and not compressed onto itself but it has major black bars.

This image shows how it looks when I have set the variables hdmi RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_hdmi_enable_4kp60 = 1 and RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_hdmi_mode = 97 to set resolution to that of the TV on the Raspberry Pi.

I have played around with customizing the overscan numbers to fit the picture to screen, which removes a sufficient amount of the black bars. Yet the picture itself is compressed onto itself and its resolution is grainy.

Poking around some more has led to a perpetual rebooting of the raspberry pi and the services. When trying to add the variables back all i see is “NO SIGNAL” on the TV.

Hi @robert_hilduson – I am not sure I will be able to replicate exactly of course, as I don’t have that exact TV, but first and foremost a few questions…

Is the Pi still in a state of perpetual reboot? Were you able to recover it to a working condition? (You could always reflash the image to the SD Card and start over, of course).

When functional, can you try any other monitors to see if they exhibit the same behavior? You will need to alter the Variable to match that new monitor of course, but I am just curious if it’s a Screenly issue, or, a device issue.

Finally, because the software did ultimately deploy, it might be something you have to head over to the Screenly forums for to get more detailed assistance from them, but let’s certainly see if we can try to figure it out.

Hi @robert_hilduson could you try connecting your pi to another screen to see if the reboot still continues? Sometimes when I adjust the resolution settings on a pi4, connecting it to one screen triggers a perpetual reboot whereas connecting it to another screen works fine. This reboot might be due to the screen eating up a ton of power especially because you set RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_hdmi_enable_4kp60.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies @dtischler and @jmakivic.
I decided to reflash Raspberry Pi OS Lite and just run Screenly OSE on that. I no longer have this problem.