My project: balena Minecraft Server

@ArianHD ok good. Its updated.

1 Like

Hi! I love this!

Iā€™m having issues increasing the RAM usage though. Iā€™m using a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB). Iā€™ve created an Environmental Variable of DOUBLE_RAM and set it to TRUE. However, every time I start my server it says ā€œStarting jar file with: 1G of RAMā€. I also get a lot of warnings that the server is overloaded and canā€™t keep up.

Any thoughts?

@ate4110 welcome to the forum! To prevent anyone asking me to make a var which sets a much bigger amount of RAM i deleted the old one and made a completely new system for the RAM: https://github.com/AlexProgrammerDE/balena-minecraft-server#custom-ram-optional-link

Awesome! Sorry for the noob question, but where do I change that value?

Create a variable like the DOUBLE_RAM variable.

1 Like

So, for example, I would create a variable called ā€œRAMā€ and set the value to ā€œ2GBā€? Is the syntax correct? Is this an environmental variable?

Thank you so much for the help

The value should be 2G . And yes its an enviromental variable.

Hi there! :grinning:

This is truly amazing, but I have one question.
How does one OP himself and/or other players?

Thanks in advance.

I ran into that problem myself last night.
make sure your mc-server/serverfiles/server.properties has these 3 lines:

rcon.port=25575
enable-rcon=true
rcon.password=balena

if you have already spun up your server you can edit the server properties using winscp/filezilla
if you do modify the server.properties file remember to restart the mc-server

Join the game on your minecraft server then while still connected use an RCON program as described here

the command you will need to send is:

op your-minecraft-username

Thank you sir!
This worked for me.

Iā€™ve followed these instructions, made my pi use 3gb of ram for the server, yet it still states itā€™s overloaded and on top of that I canā€™t find the server on any lan connected devices, any ideas?

I am trying to be able to play worldwide following the instructions on the GitHub page but wen I try to open the port on my tp-link router it asks me for a ā€œExternal Service Portā€ that I donā€™t know were to get.
Can some one help me?

Hi there! First of all, thanks soo much for creating this project! Iā€™ve been looking for an easy way to setup a Dedicated Minecraft server on my Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB) for ages, and this is the first method that seems to be ridiculously easy to use.

Iā€™ve gotten as far as getting the default project to run on my server, but I need to use Forge 1.12.2, which of course requires Java-8 rather than 11. Furthermore, Iā€™ve noticed that the system seems to be hard-coded to use the latest vanilla jar files and paper.
Are there any Device Service variables I could use to specify the JDK and jar file to be used?
I am attempting to experiment with ways to do this in the meantime, but any help on the matter would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

You can set JAR_FILE to use a specific file.

I also had problem with 8GB raspi4, but worked like a charm with the 4GB version.
looks like there is an issue to find a proper image for a 8GB raspi4.

Here is the failed build log:
[Info] Starting build for balena-minecraft-server, user termax
[Info] Dashboard link: balena dashboard
[Info] Building on arm04
[Info] Pulling previous images for caching purposesā€¦
[Success] Successfully pulled cache images
[Info] Starting to build balena-rcon
[Info] Starting to build wifi-connect
[Info] Starting to build scp-server
[Success] Successfully built service wifi-connect
[Info] Starting to build mc-server
[Success] Successfully built service scp-server
[Success] Successfully built service mc-server
[Success] Successfully built service balena-rcon
[Info] Uploading images
[Error] Error:: (HTTP code 404) no such image - no such image: b5fdc6029c90: No such image: b5fdc6029c90:latest
[Info] Built on arm04
[Error] Not deploying release.

Thanks for a great project. Forced me to learn balena and give up the idea to proceed with ansible :slight_smile: ā€¦ Enjoying it with my kids now :slight_smile: ā€¦ One question: did you think of some world backup procedure ? Balena does not offer it out of the box. And knowing how unreliable raspi on SD is the idea of losing our world is haunting me :slight_smile: ā€¦ Would be grateful for any advice. Since iā€™m new to minecraft game/servers at least telling which files I need to backup would help a lot :slight_smile: Iā€™ll google for paper server backup procedures for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Purchased EasyBackup Psper Server plugin, backups to Dropbox like a charm :slight_smile: ā€¦ didnā€™t try restoring though. :):):slight_smile: Hopefully that will work too :slight_smile:

I too would be interested in this. We started of with my boys, using 1.15.2. When the clients upgraded to 1.16 I was forced to reinstall everything from scratch to the RPi4 as I found no means to save - if it was possible at all. Obviously this felt the boys sad, but we restarted.
Now I am wondering how to restart a new map? And is it possible to use a seed for a new map.
Apart from this, kudos to Alex, I really love this project of his! :slight_smile:

You should try setting ENABLE_UPDATE to true in the cloud dashboard. It will try to automatically upgrade your server to 1.16

Thanks, Alex. I already got it done, by reinstalling manually. BUT, is there a way to start a new map, without a full re-install? Maybe a terminal command, or just a parameter and then reboot? And could the server start a new map using a seed? (I need to get a map, the kids like - they gave me this as homework :-))