Jetson Nano Balena Image/Boot Issue

Hi,

I’ve been having an issue getting balena os to boot on some of the jetson nano 4GB developer kits we have. After flashing the image the jetsons just don’t boot, we get the NVIDIA logo and nothing after that. This only seems to happen on nano’s which have run NVIDIA’s Jetpack SD image on, if I run balena on a brand new jetson it work just fine.

I spent a week a while back trying to look into this issue, and found many references to an update to the onboard SPI flash on the nano being written to by the Jetpack image which isn’t compatible with the current release but I was never able to find a way to fix this and eventually gave up. I’ve come back to this and am really trying resurrect the nanos we got (world supply of nanos is getting very short),

Has anyone run into a similar issue and been able to find a fix for it? Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Richard, and welcome to the Forums. Have a look at the instructions I wrote in this reply, and give those steps a try: Jetson Nano 2gb not showing up on Dashboard - #5 by dtischler

That should get your Nano’s into a state where they can boot balenaOS.

Just be sure to look carefully at what device you are set to flash, since you mentioned yours are the 4gb variant, and the list of boards in the Nvidia SDK Manager all look fairly similar. :slight_smile:

It’s also worth a mention, that we are working on fixing the underlying issue here, so that these steps are no longer needed. :+1:

@dtischler has a fix for the underlying issue already been implemented? I have the same problem with the jetson (4GB) not booting and just getting stuck on the NVIDIA logo. So I am wondering if it is worth pursuing the steps you wrote out in the other issue.