jetson l4t-r34.1 roadmap

Dear Balena developers,

Thank you for this amazing product, I love it. I do have a question though,

nvidia’s roadmap for jetpack 5 and all its features is in the works this year and the developer preview is already available. Jetson Roadmap | NVIDIA Developer

I was wondering when we can expect to see the balenaOS support the r34.1 release?

Greetings and thank you for your time.

Dear @kamiforever - welcome to the forums.
Sadly I cannot answer your question, but just wanted to make a sidenote for all people looking forward JetPack 5 and running this on various platforms: Jetson Software Roadmap for 2H-2021 and 2022 - Jetson TX2 - NVIDIA Developer Forums
Sadly JetPack 5 will not be available on Jetson Nano, Jetson Nano 2GB, Jetson TX1, and Jetson TX2 series (Jetson TX2 NX, Jetson TX2, Jetson TX2 4GB and Jetson TX2i). The last JetPack revision will stay at 4.x and get security updates from that point on. Only newer platforms like Xavier NX etc will get the latest and greatest version (see also here: L4T Archive | NVIDIA Developer )

I hope someone else from the team can answer on the avaibility of the 34.1

Best regards,

Nico

1 Like

Hi @kamiforever , currently we are in the process of releasing L4T32.7.1 support for all device images, as of right now we have released that for the Jetson Nano devices. After all images are released on L4T 32.7.1 we can look into L4T 34.1 support but currently we cannot provide a timeline for that.

1 Like

We’ve raised an issue in github at L4T 34.1 requested for CTI Rogue Xavier AGX · Issue #317 · balena-os/balena-jetson · GitHub which you can follow for progress on this L4T request.

Thank you for your time.

Looking forward!

Dear Balena,

I was wondering if there is an upate on this?
I am unable to log into jellyfish.

Greetings

Deniz

Hello @kamiforever thanks for your message and apologizes for the delay!

As mentioned on previous messages we created the github issue here and once this has been solved we will contact you.

Hello Balena team,

Nice progress, according to the GH issue page it seems there’s already a L4T 34.1.1 developer preview image.

Where can I find it on DockerHub in order to start the integration?

Thanks

Dear Balena Team,

Either a L4T 34.1 or a L4T 35.1 image would be highly appreciated. Looking for a developer OR production version for the Xavier NX.

Greetings

Hello @rmpt @kamiforever

As my colleague mentions on the github issue we are not going to support the L4T 34.1 as this is a developer preview version.

Regarding the L4T 35.1 of the NVIDIA Xavier boards we can’t give any estimation as a lot of things changed and we need to evaluate the changes.

Dear @nmaas87 @mpous,

I was wondering if there is an update on this soon? It’s been almost half a year since the r35 release.

Greetings and thank you for your time.

Sorry @kamiforever I have no idea, but @mpous will surely be able to shine a light on the situation :slight_smile:

Hi @kamiforever , for now we only support L4T 35.1 for the Jetson AGX Orin.

Yesterday Nvidia released L4T 32.7.3 for the TX2, TX2 NX, Xavier, Xavier NX and Nano line-up and once that is available our yocto upstream - meta-tegra - we will integrate and release this version for all devices supported.

After that we can have a look into integrating L4T 35.1 or newer for the Xavier and Xavier NX boards.

Unfortunately this is not very straight forward and will need to be investigated thoroughly on our side because this L4T jump from 32.x to 35.x involves a main bootloader as well as a partition layout change… and this is a breaking change.

Dear @acostach ,

Thank you for this. I was wondering how the progress is going? We are currently crossing our fingers for a deployment of xavier NX’s with r35.1 by march, is that possible you think?

Greetings

Hi @kamiforever . A few questions to better understand the context on your side:

• You are planning to use the Xavier NX eMMC module? Or the SD module? Or both?
  • Will you be provisioning new devices only or are you planning to migrate from L4T 32.7 to L4T 35.1?
  • In terms of actual hardware, are you using the Jetson Devkit carrier boards or some other type of custom carrier board?

Thanks

Dear @acostach ,

Thank you for working on this. To answer your questions:

• We are currently using Xavier NX eMMC modules. We plan on migrating to Orin NX eMMC somewhere end of this year.
  • We would want to migrate old Xavier NX’s to L4T 35.1 in the ideal scenario, however if the migration is the bottleneck in your development, then on our side we would be OK if you release an Orin NX L4T 35.1 image, without providing support of upgrading older versions. And also without providing an Xavier NX L4T 35.1 image. So I would like to ask if an Orin NX 35.1 could be developed first.
  • We actively try to use boards that match or closely match the devkit. The devkit board is hard to source so we regularly try out third party boards that are specced similarly. Currently our main supplier is Seeed Studio for the boards. Currently it’s the J202 https://www.seeedstudio.com/reComputer-J202-Carrier-Board-for-Jetson-Xavier-NX-p-5397.html