HATs for balenaFin

Now that the balenaFin has been announced officially and is soon to be available at scale, we’d like to hear from you about HATs that would be useful to you. Reply to this thread and I’ll start to build a list.

• Additional Ethernet ports using the USB headers (request)
  • Miniature UPS HAT (take a look at the PiJuice)
  • Support for interfacing Grove or Click modules
  • Add a second mPCIe slot using the USB header

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

3 Likes

@chrisys, are you talking about balenaFin-specific HATs (i.e. something that can be produced there at Balena) or just RPi-compatible HATs that can/should be tested on the balenaFin?

In any case, I think that being able to play with sensors and actuators would be interesting. That is, opening the doors to Grove modules from SeeedStudio or Click modules from MikroElektronica.

I would also love to have a very small UPS, that is something that can rechange a small battery from via the 6-24V input, then, in case of power outage, just signal to the balenaFin that it is running out of battery.

Hey @daghemo

In answer to your question I think both! In theory any HAT created for the Raspberry Pi using the same pinout is compatible as long as it follows the HAT hardware guidelines (i.e. no components on the underside), and so we shouldn’t really need to maintain a compatibility database.

In addition we’d also like to look at creating custom HATs that can take advantage of the on-board USB headers and perhaps the co-processor inputs/outputs as well.

I’ll update the post with your suggestions - thanks!

Also @daghemo you might take a look at the PiJuice which should work fine with the Fin :slight_smile:

Thanks @chrisys, I’ve added PiJuice to my wishlist, but as said by @zestyping on Running a Fin on USB or other battery power? the board is hard to find right now. :frowning: As I’ve said in the same post, S.USV could be another option. LiFePo4wered/Pi seems also to be interesting.

Another uncommon feature on RPi could be a power button and maybe a use button too. I know I can use a Grove module for that, but maybe adding some buttons on the DIN-rail case would be nicer.

I think that this may be of interest:

@chrisys
While we are talking about hats we should bring up that it would be great if balena could make or sell (if they already make one) a blank ring for your case solution. The options right now appear to be a $25 dollar case or a 65 dollar case if you have to large a hat in production. (POE hats)

-Thomas

1 Like

Hello Thomas, thanks for the suggestion! It makes sense for such a ring to be provided, I will dig a bit more into how we can make that possible and get back to you.

Cheers,
Nico