Etcher 1.5 not recognizing DMG files

I just upgraded to v1.5 under MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) and can’t seem to get it to select my .DMG files. It shows them in the open dialog and I can select it for opening (and does the Plus sign if I try drag and drop to window) but after it doesn’t show the file in the display. and if I already have an SDcard inserted, that does show on the display. but the Flash never becomes active since from its perspective there is no source image.

Any ideas?

@MacRonin which dmg files are you using?

They are locally created ones for the Raspberry Pi. We have successfully burned them using the Mac’s dd command.

Its not that the get selected and then won’t burn, its that when I try and open as the source file. It shows in the open dialog and is selectable as appropriate file type, but when I open it it goes back to main window without being selected. Its if the prior step hadn’t happened, no error msg).

The are not ZIP compressed when attempt made but had been ZIP’ed when transmitted by creator to me and then unzipped locally.

Could you please share one of these dmg images or a way to create one?
Do you see anything in the developer tools console (press cmd + shift + i) when you select the dmg?

I’ve gone back a step to version 1.4.8 and tried using that one. This also had a problem but at least gave a generic error msg about not liking the file ( “Error: Invalid Image” )

getting details on how created from the creator

|  ___| |     | |
| |__ | |_ ___| |__   ___ _ __
|  __|| __/ __| '_ \ / _ \ '__|
| |___| || (__| | | |  __/ |
\____/ \__\___|_| |_|\___|_|

Interested in joining the Etcher team?
Drop us a line at join+etcher@resin.io

Version = 1.4.8, Type = dmg
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:41 GMT-0500 (EST) Application start ({"packageType":"dmg","version":"1.4.8","applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:41 GMT-0500 (EST) Checking for updates ({"currentVersion":"1.4.8","stable":true,"updateSemverRange":"<2.0.0","includeUnstableChannel":false,"applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 etcher:sdk:scanner start +2s true
2/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:55 GMT-0500 (EST) [object Event] ({"applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c","flashingWorkflowUuid":"2ce73024-7052-4a6d-9d1b-0d8055d4d2f3"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:55 GMT-0500 (EST) Update notification skipped ({"reason":"Latest version","applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:55 GMT-0500 (EST) <link rel=preload> must have a valid `as` value ({"applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c","flashingWorkflowUuid":"2ce73024-7052-4a6d-9d1b-0d8055d4d2f3"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:03:57 GMT-0500 (EST) Open image selector ({"applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c","flashingWorkflowUuid":"2ce73024-7052-4a6d-9d1b-0d8055d4d2f3"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 {"stack":"Error: Invalid image\n    at Object.exports.createError (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/shared/errors.js:253:17)\n    at Object.exports.createUserError (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/shared/errors.js:292:18)\n    at udif.getUncompressedSizeAsync.then.catch (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/sdk/image-stream/handlers.js:199:22)\n    at tryCatcher (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)\n    at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:504:31)\n    at Promise._settlePromise (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:561:18)\n    at Promise._settlePromise0 (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:606:10)\n    at Promise._settlePromises (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:681:18)\n    at Async._drainQueue (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:138:16)\n    at Async._drainQueues (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:148:10)\n    at Async.drainQueues (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:17:14)\n    at <anonymous>","message":"Invalid image","description":"There was an error reading \"2018-11-30-nfselfie-client-disk-space-expanded.dmg\". The image does not appear to be a valid Apple Disk Image (dmg), or may have the wrong filename extension.\n\nError: Invalid footer signature: Expected 0x6b6f6c79, saw 0xffffffff","report":false}
console.(anonymous function) @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 Mon Feb 25 2019 11:05:08 GMT-0500 (EST) Open image selector ({"applicationSessionUuid":"1b98dca2-2524-4ab4-af0c-7d1aba4ca90c","flashingWorkflowUuid":"2ce73024-7052-4a6d-9d1b-0d8055d4d2f3"})
/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58 {"stack":"Error: Invalid image\n    at Object.exports.createError (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/shared/errors.js:253:17)\n    at Object.exports.createUserError (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/shared/errors.js:292:18)\n    at udif.getUncompressedSizeAsync.then.catch (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/sdk/image-stream/handlers.js:199:22)\n    at tryCatcher (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)\n    at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:504:31)\n    at Promise._settlePromise (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:561:18)\n    at Promise._settlePromise0 (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:606:10)\n    at Promise._settlePromises (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:681:18)\n    at Async._drainQueue (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:138:16)\n    at Async._drainQueues (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:148:10)\n    at Async.drainQueues (/Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:17:14)\n    at <anonymous>","message":"Invalid image","description":"There was an error reading \"2018-11-30-nfselfie-client-disk-space-expanded.dmg\". The image does not appear to be a valid Apple Disk Image (dmg), or may have the wrong filename extension.\n\nError: Invalid footer signature: Expected 0x6b6f6c79, saw 0xffffffff","report":false}
console.(anonymous function) @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raven-js/dist/ra…:58
logException @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/resin-corvus/src…:228
(anonymous) @ gui.js:8116
tryCatcher @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:16
Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:504
Promise._settlePromise @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:561
Promise._settlePromise0 @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:606
Promise._settlePromises @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:681
Async._drainQueue @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:138
Async._drainQueues @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:148
Async.drainQueues @ /Applications/Utilities2/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/bluebird/js/rele…:17

DMG create was a basic dd cmd under mac

1-Check Disks: diskutil list
    2-Unmount disk to burn: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
    3-Burn: sudo dd if=~/path/to/your/raspberrypi.dmg of=/dev/disk2

One other thing I mention because I remember it causing an issue at one point with a disk image (but may have been IMG) was that the file is compressed with Mac’s ZIP before being uploaded to Dropbox where I DLed it from and unZIPed

@MacRonin this is the commands used to write the disk image on the drive.
How was the dmg file created?

@zvin Argh, sorry.

Probably just reverse the IF and OF but I’ll check to be sure. Don’t want to send you down an invalid path. Thanks

@MacRonin if the image was created by copying an sd card with dd, try renaming it to raspberrypi.img.

Just confirmed with the person who created the DMG file. At times in the past he has used earlier versions of Etcher, but this time he used the DD command on MacOS

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=~/Desktop/raspberrypi.dmg