Deploying Globally

Are there any considerations when planning deployments outside of the US with Resin? We’re kicking off a global rollout in Australia and Europe and want to make sure there isn’t anything we may be missing.

Thanks!

There are Resin deployments in countries all round the world so there should be no big issues with making further deployments. A couple of potential issues you may want to consider:

1. Deployment in China can be problematic due to Great Firewall issues. Other countries with restricted internet access may also pose problems.
  2. You may need to set the wifi regulatory domain of your product accordingly. The US uses a subset of wifi channels so if you want to operate on all supported channels in EU or JP. It used to be possible to do this automatically with 802.11d but recent FCC rulings mean you pretty much require a separate SKU for US and rest of the world.
  3. Resin services are hosted primarily in AWS US East (as far as I am aware) so latencies will increase with distance from that region. We aren’t aware of there being any problems caused by this but in e.g. Australia this might be something to keep an eye on.

Great, thanks for the feedback!

FWIW, I’m running multiple Resin devices here in the UK without any issues, and I’m aware of numerous groups across Europe using Resin without problems as well.