Cannot Flash on Catalina

You might be able to get further info from the macOS Console app – it’s in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app. Open it up, start Etcher, try to flash and watch the logs as they arrive in the Console and should hopefully point us somewhere.

standard 20:23:13.003508+0200 NowPlayingTouchUI [NowPlayingTouchUI] Updating now playing apps with 0 added and 0 removed.
standard 20:23:13.003556+0200 NowPlayingTouchUI [NowPlayingTouchUI] Reloading control strip presence because of now playing apps reload.
standard 20:23:13.003770+0200 runningboardd [executable<balenaEtcher(501)>:2387] Ignoring jetsam update because this process is not memory-managed
standard 20:23:13.004611+0200 runningboardd [executable<balenaEtcher(501)>:2387] Set darwin role to: UserInteractiveNonFocal
standard 20:23:13.004849+0200 runningboardd [executable<balenaEtcher(501)>:2387] Ignoring GPU update because this process is not GPU managed
standard 20:23:13.058691+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag **** frame data ****
standard 20:23:13.058736+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag frames/s (IntervalRate) 24.3
standard 20:23:13.058767+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag frames/s (IntervalRateIgnoringDelay) 24.9
standard 20:23:13.058789+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag ms (OperationDuration) 164.7
standard 20:23:13.058815+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag ms/frame (AverageDuration) 38.4
standard 20:23:13.058840+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag ms/frame (StandardDeviation) 43.7
standard 20:23:13.058862+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag (NormalizedStandardDeviation) 1.1
standard 20:23:13.058887+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag ms (DelayFromOperationStart) 3.9
standard 20:23:13.058913+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag frames (IntervalCount) 4.0
standard 20:23:13.058979+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag **** Slow WS Update data ****
standard 20:23:13.059015+0200 com.apple.PerformanceAnalysis.animationperfd PerfLogging: Console__WSWindow__WSWindowDrag updates (Slow WS Update count) 0
standard 20:23:13.069365+0200 hidd [HID] [MT] dispatchEvent Dispatching event with 2 children, _eventMask=0x2 _childEventMask=0x2 Cancel=0 Touching=0 inRange=1

Hello, I could not reproduce this issue.
What image are you flashing ?

Every Image has the same problem.
Example: https://ftp.hostserver.de/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/install67.img

Could you try running this from the developer console:

const cp = require('child_process');
cp.execFileSync('sudo', ['--askpass', '/bin/sh', '-c', 'open .'], {env: {SUDO_ASKPASS: '/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app/lib/shared/catalina-sudo/sudo-askpass.osascript.js'}})

It should ask for your password and open a Finder.

In Etcher / Developer Tools / Console?

/etc/sudoers because of CIS Benschmarks:

Override built-in defaults

Defaults env_reset
Defaults env_reset,timestamp_timeout=0
Defaults tty_tickets
Defaults requiretty

child_process.js:651 Uncaught Error: Command failed: sudo --askpass /bin/sh -c open .
sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:630)
at Object.execFileSync (child_process.js:648)
at Object.func [as execFileSync] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140)
at <anonymous>:2:4

Yes, in the developer tools console:

Any Update about the error:
child_process.js:651 Uncaught Error: Command failed: sudo --askpass /bin/sh -c open .
sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:630)
at Object.execFileSync (child_process.js:648)
at Object.func [as execFileSync] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140)
at :2:4

Hey there,
Just to confirm, were you able to run the commands in the etcher developer tools console?

const cp = require('child_process');
cp.execFileSync('sudo', ['--askpass', '/bin/sh', '-c', 'open .'], {env: {SUDO_ASKPASS: '/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app/lib/shared/catalina-sudo/sudo-askpass.osascript.js'}})

Hello again!

Upon further investigation, it looks like you are running into this issue because of the added security measures you mentioned. sudo now requires a tty to be able to run. maybe you can try changing the sudoers file with Defaults !requiretty (source: https://apassionatechie.wordpress.com/2018/02/14/sudo-sorry-you-must-have-a-tty-to-run-sudo/)

Let us know if this works

This is working. But because of compliance and CIS Benchmarks it is no useable option.

How can we set an exception for etcher in sudoers?

Hi,
you can override the default per-user:
Defaults:username !requiretty
or per-program:
Defaults!/path/to/etcher !requiretty
Please let us know whether this solves your problem.

Defaults requiretty
Defaults!/path/to/etcher !requiretty

This combination is not working. How can I set requiretty for all, but not for etcher?

Hi, could you please share the /etc/sudoers file you are using?
Note than in the pseudo-code /path/to/etcher should be replaced by the actual path to the etcher binary.

Defaults env_reset
Defaults tty_tickets

Defaults!/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher !requiretty

Defaults env_keep += “BLOCKSIZE”
Defaults env_keep += “COLORFGBG COLORTERM”
Defaults env_keep += “__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING”
Defaults env_keep += “CHARSET LANG LANGUAGE LC_ALL LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE”
Defaults env_keep += “LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME”
Defaults env_keep += “LINES COLUMNS”
Defaults env_keep += “LSCOLORS”
Defaults env_keep += “SSH_AUTH_SOCK”
Defaults env_keep += “TZ”
Defaults env_keep += “DISPLAY XAUTHORIZATION XAUTHORITY”
Defaults env_keep += “EDITOR VISUAL”
Defaults env_keep += “HOME MAIL”

Defaults lecture_file = “/etc/sudo_lecture”

But I would need this

Defaults env_reset
Defaults tty_tickets

Defaults requiretty
Defaults!/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher !requiretty

Defaults env_keep += “BLOCKSIZE”
Defaults env_keep += “COLORFGBG COLORTERM”
Defaults env_keep += “__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING”
Defaults env_keep += “CHARSET LANG LANGUAGE LC_ALL LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE”
Defaults env_keep += “LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME”
Defaults env_keep += “LINES COLUMNS”
Defaults env_keep += “LSCOLORS”
Defaults env_keep += “SSH_AUTH_SOCK”
Defaults env_keep += “TZ”
Defaults env_keep += “DISPLAY XAUTHORIZATION XAUTHORITY”
Defaults env_keep += “EDITOR VISUAL”
Defaults env_keep += “HOME MAIL”

Defaults lecture_file = “/etc/sudo_lecture”

The command is run through sh: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/blob/master/lib/shared/catalina-sudo/sudo.ts#L34 , try disabling requiretty for /bin/sh.

I’m trying to create a TAILS external hd for my 2020 MacBook Pro, running Catalina 10.15.6. Can someone give me instructions on how to do it, using Etcher? Documentation seem to be pre-APFS.

@bill.mccrosky I see they have some instructions on https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/usb-overview/index.en.html but they look a bit outdated so I’m not too sure. Have you tried following them and/or looking for a more up-to-date guide?
Besides that, it’s better to open a new thread on the forums since it’s a different issue.

Yes I’ve followed those directions. I’ll start a new thread.