Can I use Etcher to CREATE an image like Win32DiskImager does?

Can I use Etcher to CREATE an image like Win32DiskImager does?

Yes, you can.

Etcher is simply a tool to flash disks. You can flash anything you want.

@benebrady if you mean creating a disk image from a storage device; currently the answer is still “no”, but we’re working on it, and it shouldn’t be too long until that feature ships in a release.

1 Like

Does this exist now?

Welcome to the forums @danielwoz! The feature to create an image from a storage device does not exist in Etcher right now.

very useful application. hope balenaetcher can create image from removable devices someday.

Does this feature exist yet?

Hi @WhatAboutNow – this ability does not yet exist. I’ve created an issue to track this request at https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/3232; you can follow that issue to add your voice and watch for progress on this request.

All the best,
Hugh

1 Like

I think I need to continue the tradition of previous posters to ask once a year:

Is the feature available yet?

Take a look at the number of views of this thread. It is the first hit on Google when searching for “Etcher create image”… It’s about time to start working on it :wink:

Hi @obligatoryonceayear,

We’ve taken another look at this issue internally and unfortunately we’ve had too many other higher priority issues to tackle this in the past.

We’ll triage this issue internally and find a place for it to live on our development roadmap. The project is open source, so I would encourage you to create a pull request if you have the time and are truly blocked by the lack of this feature.

2 Likes

To all folks coming here from google search results:
I have successfuly used dd on linux to create an image of the drive and xz for compressing the .img file.
Ether can read .img.xz files, so you can use this method to clone a drive on linux and write it on windows.

…and to keep the tradition alive: Is this feature available yet?

1 Like

hahahahahahhahahaah same

Remember the guy who answered yes in 2018 lol

Yes, you can use Etcher to create an image just like Win32DiskImager does. Both Etcher and Win32DiskImager are tools commonly used to write disk images (such as ISO or IMG files) to USB drives or SD cards. However, while Win32DiskImager is primarily designed for Windows, Etcher is a cross-platform tool that works on Windows, macOS, and Linux.

I know it’s getting late in the year, but can Etcher be used to create images like Win32DiskImager yet?

Can Etcher create images yet?

Nobody had asked in 2024 yet, so at least that’s done now.