Beta testers: remote host OS updates

Just before Chisrtmas @andrei was working on resinhup, the resin.io host OS updater. Now we have a working beta version that we can remotely update some devices types, and thus can always bring the latest features to a given device without manual reprovisioning as it was done before (by flashing a new SD card, etc…)

The current beta of resinhup works with Raspberry Pi (all types), Intel NUC, and BeagleBone Black, and other device types will be added to it over time.

So now beta testers wanted! :warning: If you’d like to participate in testing out resinhup and would like to update some of your devices to the latest 1.x resinOS version remotely, let us know here! (RPi, NUC, BBB kinds only at this time). This would mean letting our admins to run resinhup on your device to update it remotely.

We have a couple of devices to test!

1 Like

Cool, can you send a message through the dashboard’s help button, and will pick it up from there? :slight_smile:

The update is done for your device, and we’ve learned a number of things, for example to consider customized boot logos as well (filed issue on github).

Thanks a lot for being on the bleeding edge, @diegosucaria! :heart_decoration:

If anyone else would like to remote-upgrade their devices, beta testers are still wanted :wink:

Hey guys, great service! I’m impressed.

Team Resin were kind enough to update the larger part of my fleet (the ones which were running on older ResinOS version), updates went without a glitch!

All up te date now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there,

We want to test too! We can share several beaglebone blacks.
Will also be able to update to the new resin 2.x?

:slight_smile:

hey @fokko, would be great to have a chance to test on more BBBs! At the moment the update is within the 1.x line, as upgrade to 2.x will need to do some tricky things on the device (technically speaking), and it would be a big help for that future update, if the devices are already on the latest 1.x series.

I’ve seen you’ve already got in touch with support, we are on it, cheers!

Anyone else would like to give remote update a try? :slight_smile:

Hi,

I am interrested to test !

I can dedicated a few BeagleBone Green Wireless, are you interrested ?

Alan

Hey thanks for he offer! Unfortinately BBGW is not supported just yet, (just RPi, BBB, and NUC), but will keep that in mind and let you know when we are expanding the reach! :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Hi, No problem let me know :wink:

Btw, I have recovered a Raspberry PI 3 and can dedicate it to the test, let
me know how to proceed !

hey, if you can bring up the support chat in the dashboard (lower right corner), and tell us there a couple of things :pencil2: :

• the dashboard link to the device you’d like to update
  • just a few words on the general nature of the app running on the device (whether it manipulates the network connection at all)
  • mention any modifications of the hostOS that you might have had.

This should be good to start! If your RPi3 is newer than hostOS 1.16.0, you can also try a self-service update (which runs the same process that we do manually, just for newer versions that are more likely to require no intervention).

How’s this? :slight_smile:

All right the device has been setup and the team got some info about the
app …

Hi, the device has been updated. Since it was a recent host OS version, it was just a straight trigger of the self-service update from the dashboard mentioned above :checkered_flag:

The support guys told me that they will let the OS guys know … Is there a
more straight forward method to let them know ? A slack channel or
something ?

Hey, it was the right process, as not everyone has device access, while all our engineers are doing support shifts too. :calendar_spiral: The requests are internally directed to the correct team as needed, while most issues are resolved on the spot. We have a public Gitter chat channel but that’s for real-time conversations mostly, does not give fast-track access to the internal team. Hope it makes sense, or let us know if any other clarifications needed!

In this case you didn’t need to go through support at all, that would be the fastest solution… :slight_smile:

Hi there!

I see now the 2.x rc host os is listed in the dashboard (no staging).

Do you have plans to make the remote host OS update from 1.x to 2.x ?

Or should I manually re-provision our test devices?

thanks

yeah 1.x -> 2.x updates are in the plan, but not yet finalized. :clipboard:

The current 2.x version is still RC (release candidate), so definitely wouldn’t use that in production. For testing you need to manually reprovision the test device for the time being (and with resin-cli you can provision back the same UUID if you’d like to do that).

1 Like