balenaCloud Starter Project - Cannot locate Dockerfile - sudo command

Hello, everyone!

I recently stumbled across the balenaDash starter project thanks to the advertisement when I was using Etcher to create a linux mint bootable usb and decided to pull out my old Raspberry Pi 2.

I am trying to become more familiar with linux and utilizing the command prompt, but need some help following the starter project.

• Raspberry Pi 2 is flashed with balena-cloud-balenaDash-raspberry-pi2-2.26.0+rev1-dev-v8.0.0.img and is online and accessible from the balenaCloud
  • Successfully logged into balena through “balena login” and web authorization on windows through balena-cli.

Issues:

1. balena push balenaDash
When I “balena push balenaDash” I get the following error:

[Info] Starting build for balenaDash, user my_username_was_here
[Info] Dashboard link: https://my_device_dash_url_was_here
[Info] Building on arm01
[Info] Pulling previous images for caching purposes…
[Success] Successfully pulled cache images
[Error] Some services failed to build:
[Error] Service: main
[Error] Error: Cannot locate specified Dockerfile: Dockerfile
[Error] Not deploying release.
Remote build failed

2. LCD Screen Install
Need help installing my LCD screen, but unsure how to access sudo command.
Here are the instructions:

sudo rm -rf LCD-show
git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show.git
chmod -R 755 LCD-show
cd LCD-show/
sudo ./LCD5-show

I am confused about how to use sudo commands within balenaOS, whether it’s through balena-cli or directly with a keyboard attached to my Raspberry Pi 2 and the balenaOS command prompt. Even when I go to “root”, it says that sudo is unknown. Additionally, I do not know the default password.

I realize these are beginner level issues, but I could not find any solutions when searching around.

Greetings. Another very newbie Balena explorer here, so what I am about to say may be inaccurate or unhelpful…

I note that the blog post you cite specifically mentions requiring an Raspberry Pi 3B.

I think you have navigated around that when creating a BalenaOS image to run on your RPi2.

But later, when you grab the downloadable code for the balena-dash project, the Dockerfile in that project has a line that appears to reference an RPi3 again -
FROM petrosagg/resin-wpe:raspberrypi3-30c7465

Just wondering if that is what stops the build for your RPi2 environment from working?

Good catch. The title of the guide simply says “Raspberry Pi”, but the requirements list mentions “Raspberry Pi 3B”. I’m still convinced that a Raspberry 2 is more than capable. I say that because the dash supports many different hardware options:

And I have successfully installed the OS and the status of the device is online in the dash.

I see what you’re saying:
https://github.com/balena-io-projects/balena-dash/blob/master/Dockerfile

You’re probably right. Thank you for your help so far.

Hi there @3hydro8!

Answering your questions in order:

1. The Raspberry Pi 2 is 32-bit and the Raspberry Pi 3 is 64-bit, so while the demo may work on an RPi2, it would require rebuilding the Web Platform for Embedded Docker image that you and @DeeJay mention, since it’s not something we provide already.
  2. The instructions from the README.md in that repository reference a Raspbian OS rather than a balenaOS. You can access your device directly via the web UI’s ssh panel or balena ssh -s <<UUID>> from the command line. These will both drop you into a shell as root on the host OS, where you can interact with the operating system directly.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any follow up questions!

1 Like