Balena sound low output

When I start up my Raspberry the level is at 100 and stays like that but as soon as I connect my device it drops automatically to 36. I have no clue why.

It might be the logic on the transmitting device side. For instance, when a Bluetooth headset is connected to a phone or laptop, the volume is often decreased to avoid potential harm.

hmm interestingā€¦ is there any way to bypass that logic? or something like controling alsamixer volume level with my bluethoth device?

@damch76 when a Bluetooth device is connected, that device can be used to control the volume. I think that whatā€™s going on here may be something different. Just as a hunch, if you are only using Bluetooth, could you try stopping all of the other services on the device (spotify,airplay,snapcast-* etc.) and see if this issue persists? If it stops happening itā€™s possible that one of those other services is interfering. Either way, this would be better tracked as an issue on the Github repo, you can add one here: https://github.com/balenalabs/balena-sound/issues

It might also be worth a quick look to see if any of the other issues reflect what youā€™re seeing, but I personally have not witnessed this behaviour before.

Anyhow, give that a try and see it it makes a difference.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your advice.

When I stop the other services specifically snapcast-server and/or snapcast-client the audio goes completely off. When I turn snapcast-server off Bluetooth is turned off for a second and goes back on. Then when I connect my device I have no audio and alsamixer is still at 100 after connection. As soon as I turn snapcast-server back on, audio comes back and alsamixer level goes down to 36. You migth be in the right track though. Any clue what to do next?

@damch76, hi, how can you tell that the level goes down to 36, how are you reading that value? Have you by any chance set CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME to 36? Iā€™m trying to figure out if your problem is this one: https://github.com/balenalabs/balena-sound/issues/78

I can see the level on the graphical interface of alsamixer on terminal for bluetooth-audio in the Dashboard.

CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME is 75

Thanks, can you try removing the CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME environment variable, and see if the problem persists?

I donĀ“t have any CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME enviroment variable set. I now is 75 because that is the configuration on start.sh for bluetooth-audio

Okay, that makes sense. Iā€™d like you to run one last test if you can. Try setting DISABLE_MULTI_ROOM env variable to 1 and see if the problem persists. This will disable multi-room feature, perhaps helping us isolate the problem.

Thank you so much! with your suggestion the problem was solved :smiley:

Hi, thanks, glad that works. It does mean unfortunately that we have an issue with multi-room. Iā€™ll add this to the repo to track it, however iā€™d like to get some more context on your setup. Can you share what device and balenaOS version you are running on? Also, just to confirm you are NOT using a DAC, correct? I know some of this you already shared, but i just want to be extra sure :slight_smile:

Yeah sure. IĀ“m running it in a Raspberry Pi 4 with balenaOS 2.47.1+rev1. And thatĀ“s correct IĀ“m NOT using DAC. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. Iā€™ll add this issue to our tracker. Youā€™ll be pinged in this thread once we resolve it (even though it wonā€™t change much for you since you are running single room).

Hello there,
I believe I am having a similar - if not the same- issue.
I have accessed alsamixer to turn the volume up on the bluetooth-audio terminal and changes seem to become undone on reboot.

Setup: Balena Sound on a RaspberryPi 3B+; 3.5 jack as the audio output.

I hope there is a permanent solution for this.
Thank you!!

Hey @frnini, what changed did you make to the alsamixer? Can you automate that in a script or something as if itā€™s not stored in the persistent storage (you can find more details in our docs here https://www.balena.io/docs/learn/develop/runtime/#persistent-storage) then they will be lost after a reboot.

I am running off a RPi 4 without a DAC and I am having the same issue as damch76 describes. I can also confirm that disabling multiroom (temporarily) resolves the issue for a single room application. I am looking forward to a fix to test and hopefully utilize the full power of balena Sound.

And as always thanks for a great product and equally great support. Besides the issue I literally transformed my old stereo to a 2020-capable speaker in 4 minutes.

Same thing here, but disabling multi-room has not helpedā€¦ Itā€™s just adding it as a enviroment variable, isnā€™t it?

Hi Sergio

Indeed, you should be able to set a variable and disable multiroom. The instructions for which should be found here

If thatā€™s exactly what you have done, maybe itā€™s a different issue. Can you confirm that you have done this, and if not can you grant support access to your device and share the UUID so that I can take a look?

This is a known issue in balenaSound, and we are working on a solution. Hopefully from your device, weā€™ll get some additional info that can potentially help us to fix it sooner.

Hi there.

I have no idea if this might help. I have just updated one Pi 3 to the new multiroom version, and installed a second one. I have encountered the same issue mentioned here.

I set SYSTEM_OUTPUT_VOLUME and CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME to 100 as Application Environment Variables. Since that moment, both Piā€™s work on full volume, in multiroom configuration.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:
C

Hi guys,

Another context story if that helps.

• Raspberry PI 3
  • Release 58e0d5d
  • No DAC (HDMI output)
  • SYSTEM_OUTPUT_VOLUME = 75
  • CONNECTION_NOTIFY_VOLUME = 0
  • DISABLE_MULTI_ROOM = 1

Alsamixer manually set to PCM 75 doesnā€™t survive reboot. Goes straight back to 36. Before any connection (bluetooth or whatever).