Balena on other OS?

I already have a R Pi 4 running latest version of Raspbian and various other stuff. If possible I would like to use this same Pi for running Balenasound. Is this possible?

Hello @extremeaudio welcome to the balena forums!

You only can run balenaSound on balena. What services are you using on Raspbian currently?

1 Like

I’m running domoticz home automation. So it would have been great if I did not have to use 2x of the same hardware.

Hi, balenaSound developer here. If you are proficient with docker and javascript you can modify the project to make it run in other OS’s. It’s certainly not an easy task and that’s why we dropped support in the first place.

1 Like

If you think you can do it let me know and I can give you a few pointers.

1 Like

I am not very familiar with java script but i am VERY good with following instructions and figuring things even with a slight nudge in the right direction. I have zero expertise in Linux but all my applicances at home run Linux like my unRaid server, domoticz on Raspbian and coreelec kodi on an Amlogic box. With so much hardware sitting around im trying to keep the clutter as low as possible.

I also intend to use balena in the car. So 2 devices is definitely better than one in terms of the load when the car isnt running overnight and believe it or not i have a pi running domoticz automating appliances in my car too :slight_smile:

I have also used docker on my server as well as on coreelec for running various programs so i’m very decently familiar but not an expert.

Thank you for offering to help!

Have you considered trying to run domoticz as a balena application? It sounds like it could be more feasible and it would be a great addition as a balenaHub project. In the following link you’ll find some information on creating applications with balena Get started with Raspberry Pi 3 and Node.js - Balena Documentation

1 Like