Balena Locating Project question

Hi, I’m new to the BALENA environment.
I set up the BalenaLocating project with 2 Raspberries and some beacons and it works perfectly.
I have some newbie queries:
Can I access the source code of the application that is installed on the raspberry?
is there a guide to writing those kinds of applications?
Is it possible to modify the BalenaDashboard interface where the beacons found appear? For example, translate it into Spanish, or add search options

Best Regards

Hey Juan,

Thanks for the feedback on the project. :slight_smile:

The source code is here: GitHub - phil-d-wilson/balena-locating: Never lose something important to you again by using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons and Raspberry Pi sensors to track your stuff.
You are free to fork the project and make any changes you want. The service which finds the bluetooth beacons is written in node.js and the dashboard is written in which is part of the .NET developer platform.

balena don’t have any guides on writing applications per se, but we do have a series of “Getting Started” guides where you can choose your device type and language: Get started with Raspberry Pi 3 and Node.js - Balena Documentation


Hey Phil

Thank you very much for your answer.
I am new to blazor and would like to bother you with a new question.
I managed to launch the "hello world" application of Blazor:

 1.- dotnet new blazorwasm -o BlazorDemoSPA
2.- cd BlazorDemoSPA
3.- dotnet build
4.- dotnet run

My query is how to do the same with your Dashboard application, that is, download it from GitHub and run it locally.
I downloaded it, then go into the Dashboard directory, but when running dotnet build
and dotnet run (I guess it's stupid to do it like this but I can't think of any other way, sorry) I have screen errors.
 (Thanks for having read this far) my query is how to run the dashboard on my local disk, thank you in advance

Best regards

Juan Carlos Ramirez

Hey there Juan,

I just cloned a fresh copy of the repo and did the following:

  phil- root 2021-07-13 15:08:40  C:/Source/Sandbox/balena-locating/dashboard V2  ﲍ 
➜ $Env:RUN_DASHBOARD="true"
  phil- root 2021-07-13 15:08:44  C:/Source/Sandbox/balena-locating/dashboard V2  ﲍ 
➜ dotnet run
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Now listening on: https://localhost:5001
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Now listening on: http://localhost:5000
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Application started. Press Ctrl+C to shut down.
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Hosting environment: Development
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Content root path: C:\Source\Sandbox\balena-locating\dashboard

as you can see the dashboard ran fine. Can you tell me the errors you found?


Thank you very much for your help
Initially it did not work for me due to the version of Microsoft .net core that was installed 
on my computer, when I ran the dashboard it indicated that it could not find version 3.1, 
my way to solve it was to uninstall version 5.0 and install version 3.1. 
Done the above, I modified the $ Env parameter: RUN_DASHBOARD = "true" and after that I modified 
the beacons.cs file and manually entered the values that correspond to me
var influxHost = "[](";
var influxKey = "5qYSOXFj_KsKzVP4MwoaWCLAHuGxzyilsaUh7lLKlfYjNFEy1-_........";
_influxOrg = "eb99f2c59f954723";
_influxBucket = "balenaLocating";

The dashboard loads with a warning (image attached) and when looking for the information 
of the beacons, in the instruction

 var queryApi = _influxDBClient.GetQueryApi ();
 tables = await queryApi.QueryAsync (flux, _influxOrg);

the exception is thrown

Influx exception: System.Net.WebException: The SSL connection could not be established
lished, see inner exception. Authentication failed, see inner exception.
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be this
blished, see inner exception.
 ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: Authentication fai
led, see inner exception.
 ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80090326): Unexpected message received
rado, or its format is incorrect.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Best Regards


It looks like your influx host URL isn’t formatted correctly. You have a markdown string. It needs to just be “”.

Also, you should edit your message and remove the key. You should also look to change that key on Influx cloud. This is a public forum and other people could now use your account.